Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Dd m35

Article about: I don't think the decals has been liberated, it is due the helmets was cleaned from the surface rust with a kind of rough sponge, after the chemical cleaning. You cannot liberate them, due t

?

Default Re: Dd m35

Thanks for the input Dave and Glenn66. That is why i wrote i really did not have made up my mind. I also feel it will be the most correct to leave it as is. The other M35 i am restoring was in serious relic condition. So no problem with that one. I would however like to get rid on some of the rust on this one. Think i will have to spot grind it with a heavy angle grinder. Just kidding.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Dd m35
    P
    Many

?

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    Restore ? What result are you hoping to achieve by that , this helmet has lived its life. You can merely make a monster of Frankenstein out of it.
    Sorry for even thinking about it. But what do i want from restoring a helmet? 1. I think it's nice passtime. I like it. It's a bit like a meditation when i sit and sand off the filler, trying to get to know the helmets and it dents and holes. 2. I consider it a bit like some kind of art, hobby art. I might even get good at it. I was ok with cars. 3. It's not much different than restoring a car i guess. Some people also see this as a waste of time, some like to bring it back to life, which is NOT the same as making it original. Not possible of course. And i can think of a few more things, but you will most likely catch the drift on these three points.

My work is in the security sector so it's nice to do something relaxing when not wearing ballistic west and so on. Also i buy and sell some militaria, relics and so on in my spare time. I really like this, and if i can sell a old wreck i have spent some time on, as a restored helmet of course, i see nothing wrong with that. Selling a restored helmet is for sure not something one makes a profit on.(Making a profit is ok) I will say the other way round. Does not bother me though. I leave the areas where the maker mark and LOT NO is, only cleaned from rust and cover it with a clear coat.

Nice lid have in Classifieds Btw

Quote by Datrus View Post
    Think i will have to spot grind it with a heavy angle grinder. Just kidding.
    Jeez, my stomach clenched when I read that!

?

I'm sorry Glenn. Sort of.

Quote by Datrus View Post
    Sorry for even thinking about it. But what do i want from restoring a helmet? 1. I think it's nice passtime. I like it. It's a bit like a meditation when i sit and sand off the filler, trying to get to know the helmets and it dents and holes. 2. I consider it a bit like some kind of art, hobby art. I might even get good at it. I was ok with cars. 3. It's not much different than restoring a car i guess. Some people also see this as a waste of time, some like to bring it back to life, which is NOT the same as making it original. Not possible of course. And i can think of a few more things, but you will most likely catch the drift on these three points.

My work is in the security sector so it's nice to do something relaxing when not wearing ballistic west and so on. Also i buy and sell some militaria, relics and so on in my spare time. I really like this, and if i can sell a old wreck i have spent some time on, as a restored helmet of course, i see nothing wrong with that. Selling a restored helmet is for sure not something one makes a profit on.(Making a profit is ok) I will say the other way round. Does not bother me though. I leave the areas where the maker mark and LOT NO is, only cleaned from rust and cover it with a clear coat.

Nice lid have in Classifieds Btw
    I knew that would be the reply , restoration is your hobby more than it is collecting helmets. You like them and you want to fiddle with them.
    I can understand but like I have said in another topic , collecting helmets is more about preservation (which in 99% of the cases means don't touch and fiddle) and observation in order to widen one's understanding of the object.

You cannot bring this helmet back to life , you can bring a car back to life. Two completely different areas.

As a collector I always find it a pity when helmets in ground dug or barn found state are 'upgraded' , to be frank they almost always look worse not to say ridiculous.

?

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    I knew that would be the reply , restoration is your hobby more than it is collecting helmets. You like them and you want to fiddle with them.
    I can understand but like I have said in another topic , collecting helmets is more about preservation (which in 99% of the cases means don't touch and fiddle) and observation in order to widen one's understanding of the object.

You cannot bring this helmet back to life , you can bring a car back to life. Two completely different areas.

As a collector I always find it a pity when helmets in ground dug or barn found state are 'upgraded' , to be frank they almost always look worse not to say ridiculous.
    I understand you point, collecting Vs "fiddling", restoring, hobby ect. No i do not collect helmets as such. I do not have a specialized field of collecting yet. The lids i have restored so far was wrecks, and i see nothing wrong with that. As i said i understand your view. There is no difference in restoring a car or a helmet. None of them will be original once restored, but they will look better. How can a Alfa Romeo Giulietta from 1957 of which only 1400 was imported to Scandinavia be original after rebuild and repaint??? The paint is as new as can be, but in correct RAL code. Some parts come from old wrecks, but not the car itself. Some rare parts is repro parts. I see no difference here. Maybe your passion for helmets is bigger than for cars, hence the bias.

Regards

Lars

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4