Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dick Winters helmet on display

Article about: My friends at the Wilson Historical Center sent me this press release and photos, I thought I would share them with you guys. Doug For Immediate Release Wilson History & Research Center

?

Default Dick Winters helmet on display

My friends at the Wilson Historical Center sent me this press release and photos, I thought I would share them with you guys.
    Doug

For Immediate Release

Wilson History & Research Center to receive Major Richard “Dick” Winters, of “Band of Brothers” fame and well-known D-Day commander of Easy Company, 506 PIR, 101st Airborne Division Korean War era helmet October 20th at 11:00am at the state capital with Arkansas Governor Mike Beebe

“Band of Brothers” fame Major Richard “Dick” Winters and well known D-Day commander of Easy Company, 506 PIR, 101st Airborne Division Korean War era helmet is being gifted by Robert Hoffman to the Wilson History & Research Center in Little Rock, Arkansas, a 501c3 charitable foundation founded by Robby Wilson.

Major Winters wore this helmet after he was recalled to service for the Korean War, serving as a regimental training officer of the 364th Infantry Regiment stationed at Fort Dix, New Jersey, from 1951-1952. The helmet is a late WWII type with hinged chinstrap loops and a latter production heat lot number of 1189C (around early 1945). Featured on the front over the textured olive drab paint finish is a hand painted gold-colored oak leaf insignia for the rank of major.

The helmet liner features Winters’s name boldly in white on the front below another hand painted gold-colored oak leaf. The 364th Infantry Regiment coat of arms is well rendered on either side, hand painted in white, blue, and green above a silver scroll bearing the regiment’s motto, “Cross and Oak.” An officer’s vertical white stripe is painted to the back. Inside, the liner shows all the makings of late WWII construction with a light shade olive drab cotton twill webbing and leather sweatband. Winters positioned the back of the sweatband onto the rear neck strap, which was a popular adjustment during WWII.

Dick Winters’s storied World War II journey took him through some of the toughest fighting of the European Theater: Normandy, Market Garden, and Bastogne. He began the war as a lieutenant and platoon commander in E Company of the 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division and ended the war in 1945 a battle-hardened veteran and commander of the 506th 2nd Battalion, holding the rank of major. Major Winters received several medals for his WWII service, including the Distinguished Service Cross for his leadership on the successful assault against a German artillery battery at Brécourt Manor, which he was also recommended for the Congressional Medal of Honor. He was deeply respected by the troops serving under him for being a great combat leader.

After the war Major Winters was discharged from the Army and began working with his good friend Captain Lewis Nixon, whom he served with in the 506th, at Nixon Nitration Works in Edison, New Jersey. He married his wife Ethel in 1948. In 1951 the Army recalled Major Winters to active duty and he served as a training officer in the 364th Infantry Regiment stationed at Fort Dix, New Jersey. Having seen enough combat and war, Major Winters hoped to avoid going to Korea and did so after he was offered the chance to resign his position shortly before being shipped out.

Major Winters worked several jobs after his discharge until settling down with his wife and family in Hershey, Pennsylvania, retiring in 1997. His heroic actions and those of “Easy” Company during World War II gained him worldwide fame through the book Band of Brothers by Stephen Ambrose and the HBO miniseries of the same name. In 2006 he published his memoir Beyond Band of Brothers. Major Richard “Dick” Winters passed away on January 2, 2011, at the age of 92.

The Wilson History and Research Center (WHRC), is a tax exempt, charitable foundation serving in accordance with our Charter. Our goal? A complete collection of every piece of military headgear developed, produced and modified, by every country during the 20th Century. For further information please visit Wilson History & Research Center or contact Jason Roberts at 501-734-4129.

Attachment 252707

Attachment 252708

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Dick Winters helmet on display
    P
    Many

Default Re: Dick Winters helmet on display

Excellent article and photos Doug, thanks.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

?

An article to remmeber a fine man !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Thanks for sharing this with us. As I understand it, Mr. Hoffman was a close personal friend of Major Winters, and lived near him. I haven't met Mr. Hoffman, but from what I have been told, he is a great guy. This gesture certainly bears that out. Jim G.

?

Thanks for sharing - great humble man

Awesome, thanks for sharing!

He is one of my heroes... I regret not trying to send him a copy of Band of Brothers for an autograph.

Very cool!

?

Wow, what a piece of history and to know that its being preserved in this way makes our collecting hobby completely worthwhile, to see that Dick Winters, is being further honoured like this is great and totally appropriate, thanks for showing this Doug , a fitting memorial for a true hero

Super post. Thanks Doug

Best,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

?

He Was A True Leader He Shall Be Remembered By All

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast