Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

A (dirty) tan camo helmet

Article about: I just got this helmet today. It's definitely in rough condition. One major dent in the top from who knows what? Anyways I noticed there was a dry clump of mud or dirt stuck in the behind th

?

Default Re: A (dirty) tan camo helmet

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    Lol - The clump of earth is a wasp nest - Mud Wasp.........!
    I kind of noticed that right off myself. The general condition of the helmet and accompanying mud wasp evidence suggest shed or garage storage, likely for a multiple of years.
    Regards,
    John

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement A (dirty) tan camo helmet
    P
    Many

Possible the dent was made recently, that would explain the paint still being intact.

?

Quote by Sir Payne View Post
    Possible the dent was made recently, that would explain the paint still being intact.
    Why would that explain a recent dent but not one made 65 years ago? just saying...

?

The helmet looks like it was squeezed in between two surfaces as there are impressions on opposite sides, a possibility a any rate. Could have been done by almost anything, a piece of equipment, a heavy door, ect, ect, and so on. IMO - this one looks to have legitimate age. I am also a little confused by the dent/paint retainage statement, perhaps you could explain your theory Corey. If you are talking about projectile damage that sometimes causes paint loss around the impact mark, I believe this dent is caused by something different.
    Regards,
    John

Sometimes my thoughts are difficult to put into words. I just would expect the paint to look differently in the damaged area compared to the rest of the shell; Intact is not the right word. I was just thinking out loud.

This one was shown in another thread a week or so ago,i said then that i do not believe this to be an original DAK and my opinion has not changed.That dent would have damaged the paint work more seriously than it has if it were period.Also i'm not to sure that the swastika has not been added to the front in the meantime,it does'nt seem show up on the original thread. Leon.

Thought it looked familiar - The dent gave it away.........
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Good info; I didnt know that whitewash could take on this hue in some instances.

?

I'm by no means a dent expert, I'm just a guy who collects combat helmets. But 'in the dent' there are lots of parallel scratches, and two very big ones shown in the photo. I think John is right on the money with his comment saying something 'squeezed' this helmet. It might be hard to show via photos, but the two dents appear to be on opposite ends. We still don't know how this dent/damage happened, the way I see it there is some paint loss and significant scraping in that area. Does it have more paint than it should for such a big dent??? I have no idea. The comment 9 out of 10 camo helmets being fake is very true. I might never know 'without a doubt', but I'm happy to put it on my shelf next to the rest

Quote by Rylan View Post
    I'm by no means a dent expert, I'm just a guy who collects combat helmets. But 'in the dent' there are lots of parallel scratches, and two very big ones shown in the photo. I think John is right on the money with his comment saying something 'squeezed' this helmet. It might be hard to show via photos, but the two dents appear to be on opposite ends. We still don't know how this dent/damage happened, the way I see it there is some paint loss and significant scraping in that area. Does it have more paint than it should for such a big dent??? I have no idea. The comment 9 out of 10 camo helmets being fake is very true. I might never know 'without a doubt', but I'm happy to put it on my shelf next to the rest
    It has a good chance of being original in my opinion, but hard to tell with these photos. You should grab an ADM microscope and post some close ups of the paint or send the helmet to a more experienced collector for opinion if you really want to have it authenticated.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2