Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Double Decal M40

Article about: This helmet is not in my primary field of collecting and I was wondering if anybody could offer their opinions on it. I know that there is some controversy surrounding double decal M40's. Th

?

field applied decals are not overwhelmingly uncommon... could be?.....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Double Decal M40
    P
    Many

HHHHMMMMMM!!!!! It's looking good.
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Hi ,looks like the national decal may be post war applied as it has a large area that "split" on application. That is a common sign of an old original un-used decal that has deteriorated over time before being applied to a helmet at a later date. Leon.

Sadly the revealing tri color close ups move the helmet into the leap of faith category in my opinion. In all fairness it still is possible, but, we'll never know for sure.

?

Then maybe that accounts for the "finger print" in the red portion.... lol

?

Andy I own a DD M40 EF Heer.

This appears field applied at best but without in hand it appears real. The off center application is highly unusual for a factory applied tricolor. Love to see this one in the flesh but based on pics it is as has been said a leap of faith.

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    Hi ,looks like the national decal may be post war applied as it has a large area that "split" on application. That is a common sign of an old original un-used decal that has deteriorated over time before being applied to a helmet at a later date. Leon.
    In fact looking at the "close up" of the decal it has one large split down the centre as well as the thumb sized split that is to the left hand side in the white area. I personally would not be comfortable that this decal was period applied. Leon.

Good to know on the EF Doug, factory done I'm guessing?

On this one the splits in the shield would put me off, as said a hallmark of a post war applied decal. It does have a good overall patina though so it looks to have been done a long time ago.

Good eyes guys. The decal looks real, but as has been said, with the cracks my money would be on the bet that it was post war applied. Jim G.

Thanks to everyone for posting their thoughts on the helmet. It has been interesting to hear the different opinions on it. One thing that I would say now having learned a little more about the helmet is if the decal was applied post war it was on a very clean helmet. There is no indication of wear behind the national decal and there isn't a mm of this helmet that doesn't show wear. Just a thought...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast