Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Double Decal M40

Article about: This helmet is not in my primary field of collecting and I was wondering if anybody could offer their opinions on it. I know that there is some controversy surrounding double decal M40's. Th

I know Ken B. has one for sale that's an ET66.
    As far as this example, it could be field applied but I think it is post war applied.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Double Decal M40
    P
    Many

Hi , I have highlighted the "splits" to the decal, and in the second image that I have blown up ,I have circled what I believe appears to be a chip to the helmets paintwork under the decals surface. I would never be comfortable with this being a period applied decal personally. Leon.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Double Decal M40   Double Decal M40  

?

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    Hi , I have highlighted the "splits" to the decal, and in the second image that I have blown up ,I have circled what I believe appears to be a chip to the helmets paintwork under the decals surface. I would never be comfortable with this being a period applied decal personally. Leon.
    I have to concur with you Leon, good eyes mate.
    Personally, I am of the post war applied train of thought.

Brad.

Thanks again to everybody for their feedback and your forensic analysis Leon
    I obtained this helmet through a trade of militia from a well respected dealer some time ago. I traded in good faith that the helmet was an original double decal and therefore had a trade value some where in the $2000-$2500 CDN region. Should I be looking for some compensation here? If advanced collectors like yourselves aren't comfortable with the helmet and believe the national tri decal was applied post war then what kind of collector's value does this helmet retain?

Quote by uptheroyals View Post
    I obtained this helmet through a trade of militia from a well respected dealer some time ago. I traded in good faith that the helmet was an original double decal and therefore had a trade value some where in the $2000-$2500 CDN region. Should I be looking for some compensation here? If advanced collectors like yourselves aren't comfortable with the helmet and believe the national tri decal was applied post war then what kind of collector's value does this helmet retain?
    Hello ,the current value is a tricky one really as it is an original decal(just not period applied imo) and I guess that the seller would argue that it is a matter of opinion that they do not agree with!! If I owned it I think I would have to keep it as an "expensive" mistake and use it as a reference to spot the tell tale signs of post war applied original decals(of all types). I'm sure you know that a nice single decal HEER M40 like this would be about £650/1200 Canadian dollars. I hope the seller would give you some kind of refund though, Leon.
    Last edited by FALLSCHIRMJAGER; 05-14-2014 at 07:53 PM.

Quote by uptheroyals View Post
    I would not rule it out as original. I do not agree with the statement made that because the tri color sits atop a ding it is definitely post war applied....that's rubbish! Helmets are industrial products and subject to wear and tear before leaving the factory, therefore, a decal could easily sit atop a blemish and it's simply no big deal. Nor are the cracks in the decal as those could have happened to the decal paper before application and there is no way to be 100% certain of that. Bottomline to me is be careful before you cough it up too easily.....it still stands a fair chance of being original or garners a solid benefit of doubt.

?

The decal has definitely been folded in two so at best it's field applied and perhaps postwar. That said the decal shows tremendous patina and age matching the helmet so with a leap of faith I'd say field applied. That said, it will detract from value, I'd ante up no more than 2k myself if it were offered, and I liked it in hand.

Quote by Nigel Lesgate View Post
    I would not rule it out as original. I do not agree with the statement made that because the tri color sits atop a ding it is definitely post war applied....that's rubbish! Helmets are industrial products and subject to wear and tear before leaving the factory, therefore, a decal could easily sit atop a blemish and it's simply no big deal. Nor are the cracks in the decal as those could have happened to the decal paper before application and there is no way to be 100% certain of that. Bottomline to me is be careful before you cough it up too easily.....it still stands a fair chance of being original or garners a solid benefit of doubt.
    Hi Nigel ,with respect at no point does my post say "defiantly", so the "rubbish"you refer to need not apply. All I state is that I personally would not be comfortable with it being period applied. Each to their own opinion and it's not my money so I have no gripe either way. Leon.

Looks like who ever tryed to place the decal tryed to move it after it was placed. to correct the miss placement

Thanks again.
    Last edited by uptheroyals; 05-21-2014 at 01:26 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast