Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

dry rot treatment

Article about: My nice lufty liner was afflicted with the dry rot. I read that 2% hydroxypropylcellulose in isopropanol is used on leather books to prevent further deterioration. So I tried it on my liner

Default Re: dry rot treatment

Neatsfoot oil is very good at restoring old dried leather, but as stated above it can leave a sticky residue which can attract dust. I've had very good results with this Nikwax | Conditioner For Leather - Sponge-on waterproofing conditioner for leather it's water based and if used sparingly it dries with out any residue, it does darken leather slightly when first applied but the leather seems to return to it's original shade.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement dry rot treatment
    P
    Many

Quote by Pablo View Post
    I guess I could have just quit handling it.
    That's what I would have done (and do with some of my leather).
    I love to smell the inside of my helmets and get that whiff of 'old' leather and dust. I still have to come across the first treated liner that still looks and smells like it was. Do you have a before picture of the leather ?

?

Here's a photo of the liner before treatment. This was supplied by the seller. When I received it by mail, it was in worse shape (string was broke) and there were flakes of leather in the bag it was packed in.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture dry rot treatment  

Yeah I see now , if the leather is ripped from the band it also loses support. It's pretty dried out , i personally avoid leather in that state.

?

Quote by cricketchris1944 View Post
    Collectors do not like helmets that have been played in anyway.

chris
    Well hell I have played with my helmets so many times they must be worthless by now.

?

I reckon you did the right thing.... You could have left it and it could have got worse and the liner would be gone, by doing something you'll keep the liner and the physical integrity of the lid....well done

?

Dry rot is nearly impossible to stop completely so I think you did ok. It's not going to hurt the value on it.

Quote by SteveR View Post
    Well hell I have played with my helmets so many times they must be worthless by now.
    Do not worry I will come a get them ,
    chris

4md
    ?

I have never experienced dry rot like this that was why i was wondering if it has deteriorated since you had it. I guess if your seeing leather flakes come off, treating it is a better option than losing the liner
    hopefully it stops the rot

regards Paul

Just stop playing with the leather .........or you'll go blind!!!!!

Seriously, when the leather has karked it, there's not a lot you can do. If hydro-thingy in iso-whatzis works to slow down that process then thats OK with me.

Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast