Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Estate Sale German Helmet Questions

Article about: My dad bought this helmet today from estate sale. It looks like the decals inside and on the front were sealed with some kind of sealer? I am wondering well first if these decals are real an

Default Estate Sale German Helmet Questions

My dad bought this helmet today from estate sale. It looks like the decals inside and on the front were sealed with some kind of sealer? I am wondering well first if these decals are real and also if they are real how much does them being sealed affect the helmet value? My dad overpaid for this helmet so I am just trying to figure out how much he overpaid. Thanks for any opinions and help.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Estate Sale German Helmet Questions
    P
    Many

Looks like the GI did seal it with shellac,or some other thing to keep the decal from flaking. They used to do that years ago. But, at any rate, without a liner and with the sealer on it, you're not looking at a huge amount of value in any case. If you look, for example, at the lids on the Collectors Guild site, you'll see plenty of them available for as little as abit under 300 bucks complete. This one? Maybe half of that?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Hi, William is spot on, the "lacquer" has been applied to preserve the decal. It all looks genuine to me, but the helmet itself is not one of great monetary value in that condition. Leon.

What the other guys said, it'd still look nice sat on a shelf though at the right price!...

Yeah unfortunately it wasn't the right price though. But he had to have it. How much do you think it would cost to get the correct liner for it and would it be worth his time/ money. Seems like militaria is only going up in value so perhaps it would be a good investment for the future?

Don't worth we or at least me have overpaid for something because I had to have it.
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

MAP
    ?

IMHO it's not worth to restore. I'm sure they are out there but I've never seen a liner for these for sale. Plus even if you replace the liner it still has the lacquered decal. With minty ones going for $300 it's not worth it.

That said, as is, not bad for a display.

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Maybe I'll keep my eye out for one for him, maybe get lucky someday... Thanks for the help

Unfortunately, I seriously doubt that an original liner in the needed Size too could be found at all, and if by some fluke one Did show up, I'm sure the seller would be asking your 1st born for it. Might as well resign yourself to just setting it on a shelf and having a nice display piece, is all. Good luck, in any case!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I understand.. but Im on the Internet every day and it doesn't hurt to keep an eye out. This is my dads so I would like to complete it for him if I can someday. I have gotten strangely lucky before Either way it is what it is, cool display piece.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast