Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

ET64 M40 helmet

Article about: I got a ET64 helmet but it seems to not have a lot number and the ET64 is in gothic script which I have never seen with a ET. It all appears to be real and not fake was just looking for a se

Yes, it is an ET. But I think it is legit. NH

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement ET64 M40 helmet
    P
    Many

Hi Cort
    I have been photo enhancing this helmet for about 40 minutes on my PC. The ET font, it's different from the examples on my helmets to included M35 & M18 ET with "Gothic" style fonts. Normally we see a dot after each letter. Normally the size (64) is closer to the ET stamp. The fact that there is no lot# is also an anomaly. Unless it is just worn away or a very weak strike.
    Last...again this is the first time I have seen that font on an M40

Also, unless just the camera angle, but the one pic shot from above, (pic# 6) the flat part of the visor looks extremely elongated. Odd looking.
    With this being said...I don't know what you have here to be more flexible in my analysis rather than referring to it as a reproduction. Hopefully others will opine

David

here is some more pictures thank you for all the help. I have had others say it is a prototype M40 ET made using different fonts and would not have a serial since it was not included in a "lot" but that is all I have heard on it. I have compared it to other M40 shells I have and the quality is the exact same it does not feel like a repro to me but I am not a expert. again thank you for all the help I just want to solve the mystery of this lid.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ET64 M40 helmet   ET64 M40 helmet  

ET64 M40 helmet   ET64 M40 helmet  

The ET stamp is not war time ET , that is clear. Another thing missing is a sort of cut or crimp line along the inner edge were they turned the flare inward. Is there a lot number in the helmet ?

Either this is a post war produced shell or a reproduction. I'm not versed on post war shells but for sure not a war time example.

Hi, well for what it is worth, my gut instinct would say this is either a post war shell, or outside chance, possibly an early prototype test pressing? The ET 64 stamping while clear is not aligned well at all, looks more like a hand struck stamping rather than machine pressed, a test pressing may explain the lack of lot number as well, but this is just my thoughts and no fact!! Leon.

Thank you for all the input I was able to find out a bit more information on this shell through a german ww2 collector I know. This helmet is a prototype it was never intended for front line use it was one of probably many submitted when the m40 was being created by ET. He had said he has seen one other like this before and doesn’t believe it was used in the war until possibly late war when the Germans used every helmet they could get. There is no lot number because it was not a part of a lot.

Here are a few more pictures I took of the vent and seam on the rolled edge
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ET64 M40 helmet   ET64 M40 helmet  

ET64 M40 helmet   ET64 M40 helmet  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2