Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Fake or genuine SS helmet M35/M40?

Article about: I have this SS double decal helmet, however, I am not entirely convinced of the authenticity of that helmet. I believe it is a M35 or M40 conversion, if something like this was ever made? 1.

Dane
    ?

Default Fake or genuine SS helmet M35/M40?

I have this SS double decal helmet, however, I am not entirely convinced of the authenticity of that helmet. I believe it is a M35 or M40 conversion, if something like this was ever made?

1. It has no visible stamps inside the shell case, i.e. head size, place of production and so on.
    2. The vent holes are rather obscure, there is no pressed-in piece as in M35, it is more like M40, i.e. the hole is formed by pressing out the helmet material itself from within. However, there is no lip on the outside.
    3. The inside of the helmet appears genuine (the leather strapping), but then again I read somewhere that this design was used also in post-war German helmets.
    4. The application of the "SS" decal is not 100% precise, i.e. a white rim is located outside the actual logo (please see photos)

I am quite convinced that this helmet is old, but I have my doubts concerning the originality as such. Could it be an early post-war replica or in fact a genuine helmet produced later during war time, where time and economy was sparse?

The helmet is very dark-gray may be considered black.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Fake or genuine SS helmet M35/M40?   Fake or genuine SS helmet M35/M40?  

Fake or genuine SS helmet M35/M40?   Fake or genuine SS helmet M35/M40?  

Fake or genuine SS helmet M35/M40?  

2. # ADS

Dane
    ?

I forgot to mention one thing, the rear rivet is positionally offset it is not 100% centered. I have attached a picture, and also a closeup of one of the vent holes.
    Fake or genuine SS helmet M35/M40?Fake or genuine SS helmet M35/M40?Fake or genuine SS helmet M35/M40?Fake or genuine SS helmet M35/M40?

-Aged and very poor repro decals
    -Odd shell. Not ww2 period German at all
    -Aged liner and chinstrap, likely not original either --- although I can't say 100% but I'd lean towards this because everything else is bogus...

All in all --- I'm not seeing a single thing that's good here... not even seeing any age to the thing. It's all made up, sorry

Quote by slados28 View Post
    -Aged and very poor repro decals
    -Odd shell. Not ww2 period German at all
    -Aged liner and chinstrap, likely not original either --- although I can't say 100% but I'd lean towards this because everything else is bogus...

All in all --- I'm not seeing a single thing that's good here... not even seeing any age to the thing. It's all made up, sorry
    I would agree, the vents dont look right at all although I could be wrong.

Matt

Dane, I agree with the the guys the helmet is not a good one.
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

?

Bad decals, reproduction shell, generally fit only for scrap metal.

usually they just repaint a helmet and add deals/liners on an original shell
    but this one is not right at all

Hi, sorry to say that the gents have said it all. I hope this did not cost you much money as it has no value I'm afraid. Leon.

Yep - Chinese repro.........
    Regards,

Steve.