Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 34 of 40 FirstFirst ... 24 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... LastLast

Fake German Steel helmets

Article about: I'm seeing crappy decals and incorrect liners, but no fake shells...other than the whacky Jugo "SS"....

i share you a specimen
    Fake German Steel helmetsFake German Steel helmetsFake German Steel helmetsFake German Steel helmetsFake German Steel helmetsFake German Steel helmets

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Fake German Steel helmets
    P
    Many

No pic's are visible, you need to learn to use the forum uploader or this post will be erased by the mod's.

The Forum's Original and EASY TO USE Image Hosting Feature
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Hi, thanks for posting this thread. It really opens your eyes to how good fakes are. There are a lot here it would be hard to tell they are fake. It's always been a wish of mine to own a WWII German helmet. But I know I need more study before I buy one. Trouble is they are rare in NZ and my only hope is to buy online. I have my eye on this but I'm not sure about the decal.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Fake German Steel helmets   Fake German Steel helmets  

Fake German Steel helmets   Fake German Steel helmets  

Fake German Steel helmets   Fake German Steel helmets  

Fake German Steel helmets  

I joined "W-A" recently to list the three Dutch medals I'm researching and seeing pix of German helmets that I felt had reproduction leather inners I posted my concerns . . . I got jumped on from on high! When I replied that I was a leather worker with living history experience and have items displayed in museums I was told that "I know nothing" and that being a maker of historical reproduction's meant that "I knew even less!"

I simply could not and still cannot understand that attitude from "collectors" unless, I reasoned, they were trying to support items bought in the past that they might now be aware could be fakes?

Anyway, being a leather-worker and understanding hide and how you work it this photo shows why I was concerned. The hide is freshly worked without any chance of having been broken in by use, the two significant place to look for are the punched ventilation holes and the holes through which the adjustment cord is passes. With the vent holes copies tend to show a VERY clear chamfered edge created by the wadding punch and the cord holes do not have that elliptical pull (eye drop shape) created by wearing. There are other indicators too and even if the hide feels too "soft" could indicate an age well less than 75+ years oxidation.

Quote by Hendreforgan View Post
    . . . this photo shows why I was concerned. The hide is freshly worked without any chance of having been broken in by use, the two significant place to look for are the punched ventilation holes and the holes through which the adjustment cord is passes. With the vent holes copies tend to show a VERY clear chamfered edge created by the wadding punch and the cord holes do not have that elliptical pull (eye drop shape) created by wearing. There are other indicators too and even if the hide feels too "soft" could indicate an age well less than 75+ years oxidation.
    Sorry newbie here so my words posted out of place. I was responding to the first photo showing helmet liner on the first page . . . I will try to do better!

Was this the photo you were referring to?

Welcome to the forum and yes, liners with little wear are a contentious subject and one where a photo is NOT always worth a thousand words. As you would know, there were different types of hide used ( calf, pig, goat, sheep ) and I would expect that after tanning these would behave slightly different to each other. ( I know they deteriorate differently )

As a professional hide worker, we welcome your contributions.

Cheers, Dan
    Attached Images Attached Images Fake German Steel helmets 
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Quote by Danmark View Post
    Welcome to the forum and yes, liners with little wear are a contentious subject and one where a photo is NOT always worth a thousand words. As you would know, there were different types of hide used ( calf, pig, goat, sheep ) and I would expect that after tanning these would behave slightly different to each other. ( I know they deteriorate differently )

As a professional hide worker, we welcome your contributions.

Cheers, Dan
    Thank you Dan. I joined here after one of this sites members and also on W-A messaged me to encourage me to do so, it seems he too wasn't impressed with some of the W-A tantrums and felt this was a happier place. As your comment is my first I think that nicely proves his remark.

I'm not only a leather-worker with over thirty years experience but one who has been actively involved in "historical sectors" for more than two-thirds of that time. Making reproductions of the highest quality is not, as some W-A members seemed to think, "knowing nothing". Lots of time spent researching, seeking out evidence that we call either "primary or secondary", then ensuring ALL the materials, patterns and tools used are correct for the period. When that "hobby" gets to the stage where, as I and some of my compatriots were, employed by National Museums to create accurate replicas for public display because the original was too valuable and fragile to be taken out of it's climate controlled storage then, I suppose you could say, you've "made the grade".

When I made my comments on some of the pix of helmet liners I clearly stated that, apart from a basic knowledge, I knew little of the different pattern of helmet BUT I was keeping my remarks to the liner. The abusive remarks I received also included "racial hatred" due to my being Welsh. Far worse than Facebook and Twitter and so like a simple bunch of uneducated kids.

I can write almost a booklet on leather hide, the types, how they might age, what to look for and what to be aware of and had thought W-A members would be interested given the amount of concern over high quality fakes. Doing so in this thread, which has a photo agenda would be wrong, so - if this sites members are interested - where would be the best place for me to do so? Remember I'm a newbie so well off the radar.

nestingdoll
    ?

Wow,
    Thank's for sharing those pic's milan.Some of those Helmet's are designed to fool us and very well done.It's big buisness now faking Helmet's and they are out for a fast buck.Trouble is they are ripping people off and making a farce of the entire hobby.If your photo's save one person a small fortune then it was worth it

Cheer's mate
    Tom
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 03-01-2016 at 04:55 AM. Reason: Advertising links removal.........

A warning to 'Nestingdoll'. Any more links to spam
    sites WILL get you banned - pronto.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Page 34 of 40 FirstFirst ... 24 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... LastLast