Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Fake helmet?

Article about: I was offered this helmet today from an antique dealer in Belgium. He doesn't have much knowledge a German military, or in fact of any military stuff, so he doesn't know what it is. He sent

Default Fake helmet?

I was offered this helmet today from an antique dealer in Belgium. He doesn't have much knowledge a German military, or in fact of any military stuff, so he doesn't know what it is.
    He sent me these pictures and to me it looks to be a m40, but I have some doubts about it.
    I dont like the look of the liner and chinstrap; the leather looks thin to me, the same sort of leather I've seen before on reanactment helmets.
    The air vent looks a bit to small to me.
    The seller wants 100 euros for it; way to much if it is in fact postwar, but a good price if it is a good one.
    I know if it has any numbers or markings as I didn't ask the seller untill I know what it is.
    The second (beaded) lid the is selling is original in my opinion, but in bad condition and overpriced. Its going for the same price, but I already told him I don't want it fot 100 euros.
    Thanks for any help!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Fake helmet?   Fake helmet?  

Fake helmet?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Fake helmet?
    P
    Many

These are pictures of the beaded lid, in very poor condition, and also 100 euros.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Fake helmet?   Fake helmet?  

The M40 does not have original paint. It is possibly not even a German shell. No liner band, but round corks suggest it is a civilian liner. The liner shows age, but is clearly not original to the helmet.

Helmet 2 is better. The exterior paint is not original of course, but the interior blue paint is certainly good. it wouldn't be too difficult to remove the exterior paint on the dome, it is starting to chip off anyway. The liner has been replaced. You can see the bright green paint on the visor and it suddenly stops at the liner, which makes me think the first liner has been switched out. Plus it is evident that the first liner was closer to the skirt by looking at the wear/dust trail along the inner dome.

Neither are worth the price in my opinion. You can get an original shell for the same price with original paint.

Thanks! I didn't even notice the liner with cork, but like I said I dont have them in hand, I only have these picures.
    So it could well be a civil lid (the M40), maybe even post war??

I suppose it could be a civil helmet, ask if there are any makers marks along the skirt. It doesn't look like a combat model m40. The air vent is strange as you've pointed out.

Looking at the pictures the chin strap is weird too. It doesn't have rivets to connect it to the liner band, and the leather of the liner looks very thin to me. On the outside there is a trace vissible of a square sticker or something, maybe a post war reflector sticker. Seen that before on a firemans helmet!
    I sure am not buying these helmets now!

I'd pass on both.

I would pass,the prices are too high and the helmets have been played with
    chris

The first helmet is post-war German. They were worn by Police and border guards and are often passed off as WW2.

Thanks for all the input! I won't buy any of these lids, and will bring the seller the bad news he has bought two bad ones. As I sid he has little knowledge of military stuff.