Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

fake untill proved genuine!!!

Article about: I think we are in an era where every german helmet a collector comes across should be treated as a posible fake untill proved genuine buy carefull study.It goes for all antiques also.Its lik

Default fake untill proved genuine!!!

I think we are in an era where every german helmet a collector comes across should be treated as a posible fake untill proved genuine buy carefull study.It goes for all antiques also.Its like guilty untill proved inocent!!!!!I THINK THIS ADVICE IS ESPECALLY RELEVANT TO NOVICE COLLECTORS,Iv seen two helmets on theforum recently that im convinced are genuine.Although if i where a potential purchaser of them i would use the above criteria and study them carefull before wring a cheque,LAS VEGAS

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement fake untill proved genuine!!!
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: fake untill proved genuine!!!

Which helmets were those ?
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

could we considered a helmet totally fake even thought the shell is wartime? owning one that is "unretouched" nowadays is too much. so collector with limited budget will settled with an original helmet shell with repro liner. just to have something coming from that era... what's your thoughs on this?

Quote by LAS VEGAS View Post
    I think we are in an era where every german helmet a collector comes across should be treated as a posible fake untill proved genuine buy carefull study.It goes for all antiques also.Its like guilty untill proved inocent!!!!!I THINK THIS ADVICE IS ESPECALLY RELEVANT TO NOVICE COLLECTORS,Iv seen two helmets on theforum recently that im convinced are genuine.Although if i where a potential purchaser of them i would use the above criteria and study them carefull before wring a cheque,LAS VEGAS
    That's advice for the stupid , the best advice is to learn from other collectors. Don't study the fakes , study the real ones.

?

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    That's advice for the stupid , the best advice is to learn from other collectors. Don't study the fakes , study the real ones.
    Got to concur with that , if you learn what the real ones look like and all the methods of identifying such then the decsions on fakes will be easliy made , studying fakes is not the way to do it .
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

As I always did , the best IMHO is to study both fake and genuine to find features typical to each one

I agree that it is easier to see fakes once you have studied lots of genuine helmets. It is how I learned , although I am years behind most of the really knowledgeable guys on this forum. With SS decals, it is a different story. Too many collectors who own genuine SS helmets are not willing to show features unique to them in the belief that some counterfeiter might be able to perfect a fake. So, with SS it is easier to learn from reported and documented fakes.

Regards,

George
    Last edited by tampalam; 08-28-2010 at 08:31 AM.

I agree with studying original WWII stuff. German helmets are very high up compared to the rest of WWII stuff. I am lucky enough to know a expert in German helmets. He is teaching me a lot. Like they saw knowledge is power. But in collecting it save your ass from geting burned by fakes. One last thing ss stuff is way to high in price, that just make more likely to be faked. I would never pay $15,000 for an ss helmet. That insane. To much money at stake, to even be a possible fake.

I thought the thread was clear, but it appears some guys misunderstood.All im saying is basiccally have a healthy suspicion on all german helmets offered for sale to you.There are sophisticated fakes that can still fool us,its a bit like buying a classic car you have to go through it carefully to see its an original in all respects ,and not one of the,lookalikes that they are now making of some ferraris ect .Im not saying anything about studying fakes ,that would be pointless largely.All i can say is i have never to my knowledge bought a fake of anything ,be it an antique or car or militaria.ANY ANTIQUE SHOULD BE LOOKED AT WITH A HEALTHY SUSPICION UNTILL STUDY PROVES IT GENUINE ,SOUNDS VERY LOGICAL TO ME,LV

PAUL E,The two helmets where a fj one, and a double decAl m35 whose thrEads where on recently.There are some helmets that to the eye look right ,and theses two did Aall im saying is if i where in the market to purchase theses or any helmet even though my gut told me their genuine i would still study them carefully before parting with cash,LV.