Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

First German Helmet, first time forum user! M40 Luftwaffe Single Decal **PIC HEAVY!**

Article about: by Haydn Curtis It will be a long ride... i already want a second one... oh boy! Thanks again guys, Haydn Welcome to the circus buddy You could scrape off some matter from the underside of t

Default Re: First German Helmet, first time forum user! M40 Luftwaffe Single Decal **PIC HEAVY!**

I just looked by very carefully pulling the liner back and the metal is not smooth it sticks out about a cm...Does this mean M35? I think sticky is the wrong word, and honestly i dont know why i used it i was in a hurry when i typed it but, the liner may be treated with something... but the left side of the liner is more dark than the other, my pictures didnt come out as good as i hoped. I tried a google search and i might try a couple methods but does anyone a way to test for blood or has anyone actually done this before?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement First German Helmet, first time forum user! M40 Luftwaffe Single Decal **PIC HEAVY!**
    P
    Many

Default Re: First German Helmet, first time forum user! M40 Luftwaffe Single Decal **PIC HEAVY!**

Welcome to the forum! It sounds like you and I would get along pretty well.

The helmet looks good and you did well. I do not think that what you see is blood rot. It appears that the helmet spent a lot of time upside-down as evidenced by the rust in the dome. Is is an SE68? It's kind of hard to read. If it is a 68 then you have a bathtub of a helmet there. Overall it is a great helmet.

First German Helmet, first time forum user! M40 Luftwaffe Single Decal **PIC HEAVY!**I just took a picture of the inside of the dome. and thank you ObKrieger, what makes you say that? Yes it is SE68! And i have a huge head, i wear a size 7 1/2-7 3/4 so i think this might have fit me back in its prime. I am not trying to say i will be wearing it BTW! i am just saying i have a big head too! You are on the other side of the state! I went to a wrestling camp at Edinboro university in Erie. But again, thanks for all the kind words.

Haydn

Actually I think your right, I would say M35 now as well. Looking at that decal pic and the rust around the air vent, would only be there is liquid could escape around the edges because of a seam, such as an M35 would have.

Something most certainly has sat in the dome and for a period of time and I do think it may have been blood. I have 2 lids with blood damage as I said before. One has deep red staining on the leather and has eaten part of it away. The second, the liner has fallen out because of the blood damage to the leather (I have the liner though) and the inside of the dome is very similar to yours, just not as rusty. The skirt is fine, no real rust, but the dome is stained and dark. I dont know weather blood damage lowers the value though. I certainly havent gone out to find helmets like that but I dont discount them either. I know its not to everyones liking though.

Jason

I think you are correct in your assessment of the helmet. The liner appears to be blood stained, and the cut chinstrap supports the KIA soldier theory. I agree with the other post, the helmet looks to be a reissue. Paint job is fantastic, decal is very nice as well. The best thing about the helmet is the personalization, what a great find. 26 could refer to the soldier's age.

Regards, Corey

Thank you again for all the comments guys, i am soaking it all in! Does the picture i took confirm that it is an M35? And if yes, does the value differ per models m35, m40, m42? I think it is blood as well, i handled a tri Mediterranean sand camo helmet today at the airshow with blood damage and they both shared similarities. I would sure love to find out for sure though. If it is a reissue they did a really good job because i cannot see any under paint at all.. I agree with you 100% Corey with your statements! So far i love my first helmet!

Thanks again guys!

M35 reissues were originally double-decal helmets that got sent back to the factory where they were stripped of their old paint and repainted in M40 spec textured paint, with a single decal.

It seems like you have a rough understanding of what each kind of helmet is. I will find you some links to get you started. You;ve got a lot to learn my friend!

Combat helmet types (m35/40/42) are all pretty much the same as far as value goes. M35/40s are more desirable because the M42s do not have the rolled edge, some consider them to be "economy" helmets. Model type really doesn't determine value. Value comes down to two things: Condition and Rarity. However, TRUE VALUE is based purely on opinion. I think the greatest WWII German helmet ever made is a Luftwaffe SD M40 Q64 with a size 57 liner. Others would say Kriegsmarine, SS, camo, etc.

Regards, Corey

?

I love this lid! The first thing I thought when seeing the liner was that it has some blood damage to it! I , myself think blood damage is an extra! It def adds a provenance to it. My first and ONLY Luft lid is SEVERELY blood damaged. Here's a shot of my Luft liner with Blood damage:
    Also, please post this beauty on my official "Luft Lid" thread, Thanks!https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/steel...t-lids-173432/
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture First German Helmet, first time forum user! M40 Luftwaffe Single Decal **PIC HEAVY!**   First German Helmet, first time forum user! M40 Luftwaffe Single Decal **PIC HEAVY!**  

?

Quote by cgp1066 View Post
    Combat helmet types (m35/40/42) are all pretty much the same as far as value goes. M35/40s are more desirable because the M42s do not have the rolled edge, some consider them to be "economy" helmets. Model type really doesn't determine value. Value comes down to two things: Condition and Rarity. However, TRUE VALUE is based purely on opinion. I think the greatest WWII German helmet ever made is a Luftwaffe SD M40 Q64 with a size 57 liner. Others would say Kriegsmarine, SS, camo, etc.

Regards, Corey
    I agree,The helmet I just posted for ref above is a M40 SD Q62 w/ 57 liner and blood damaged liner and corpse cut! Not Q64, though..

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast