MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

First German Helmet, first time forum user! M40 Luftwaffe Single Decal **PIC HEAVY!**

Article about: by Haydn Curtis It will be a long ride... i already want a second one... oh boy! Thanks again guys, Haydn Welcome to the circus buddy You could scrape off some matter from the underside of t

Default Re: First German Helmet, first time forum user! M40 Luftwaffe Single Decal **PIC HEAVY!**

It looks legit and many of the knowledgeable posters have spoken. Great find! Anyone here wanna sell me a similar lid at that price? LOL-But, seriously...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement First German Helmet, first time forum user! M40 Luftwaffe Single Decal **PIC HEAVY!**
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: First German Helmet, first time forum user! M40 Luftwaffe Single Decal **PIC HEAVY!**

I got mine for $300. But that's about the best deal you can get and usually a private purchase as opposed to dealer bought. Online dealers would sell this for $750+,IMO

Thanks again guys, I am head over heels for it! But i got it from a vender at a show who was very reasonable, he even had an SS code of conduct book dated 1938 i believe for $375 and he said retail was around $500.00! Dean, i think your helmet was the one i was looking at originally when i was thinking maybe mine was blood damaged as well.. and ill have to post this over there then too!

Haydn

You did really well for that price mate, and welcome to the forum. This is one of the friendliest places around . I agree this one looks like a corpse cut lid, pretty grim but it would not put me off.

I have a suggestion regarding the lid though. SE are known to have used M35 shells for a short period at the beginning of the new 1940 regs, just using up old stock before they moved onto the M40's. I have a factory single decal Kriegsmarine helmet with textured grey paint (as per '40 spec), I would suggest this is a factory M35 in '40 spec too, rather than a reissue.

As a side note the SE M40 and M42 stamped vents are very distinctive, almost conical shaped. You can spot them a mile away.

Looking forward to seeing your second lid

PS I'd recommend posting any potential purchases here first, especially stuff like SS paper items, or anything SS for that matter!

?

PS I'd recommend posting any potential purchases here first, especially stuff like SS paper items, or anything SS for that matter!

Good advice there from KradSpam as usual. As the experts here have confirmed it as original, you did really well. Congratulations. Don't let it go to your head though, you were very, very lucky it is an original. Take KradSpam's and others advice and post here before you buy the next one.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Last edited by aj4010; 06-03-2012 at 05:15 PM.
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

?

I would agree that its an M35, The liner appears to have staining which is associated with blood, but i think that some sort of oil or leather presevative has been used at one time as well, the leather has been exposed to water hence the shrinkage and parting at the seam and i think thats why a treatment has been used at some time in the past, this might account for the feeling that you found by it being "sticky" but overall a very nice Lufty with a decent Second pattern decal, good paint work and I agree a possible corpse cut strap, a good buy at $350, welcome to the forum , you will find it extremely useful and also many very experienced collectors of all types of militaria, who are more than willing to freely give advice on the items you post no matter what your age or experience

?

Hello Haydn, welcome to the forum and my compliments and congratulations on your first helmet! From the pics it's exactly what Kradspam says, a factory painted M35 SE done as per 1940 specs. Definite WIA/KIA helmet too with the cut strap and heavy blood damage. These pieces always give me pause for thought and reflect the brutal reality of warfare. I don't believe the 26 is the soldiers age but probably a rack number or some personal unit number.
    Cheers
    Doug

Quote by helmetone View Post
    Now that you mentioned it, it may be an M35. Look on the inside of the dome where the air vent is. You will be able to see the vent where it comes into the shell and flares around a little to hold it in. This may be an M35 reissue, but still a nice lid. I'm not sure that blood would be sticky after 70 years. Are we sure the liner wasn't treated with something? The dark color is fairly even throughout the liner. Just a thought.
    I agree that from the photos it looks like it has inserted vent bushings which are the defining characteristic of an M35 shell. Either way, it is a very representative example, and a great "first one"! Congrats - and now you begin the endless enrollments in 12 step programs to free yourself of the addiction that has been a monkey on my back for the last 50 years. I still have the first German helmet I ever owned, a no decal beat up M40 given to me when I was 8 by my Uncle, who sent it home from France early on during the fighting in Normandy. Good luck and good hunting. Jim G.

Quote by DougB View Post
    Hello Haydn, welcome to the forum and my compliments and congratulations on your first helmet! From the pics it's exactly what Kradspam says, a factory painted M35 SE done as per 1940 specs. Definite WIA/KIA helmet too with the cut strap and heavy blood damage. These pieces always give me pause for thought and reflect the brutal reality of warfare. I don't believe the 26 is the soldiers age but probably a rack number or some personal unit number.
    Cheers
    Doug
    Ditto on all that Doug said, especially the sentiment regarding the human suffering endured by the combatants in War. Jim G.

KradSpam, thank you for the info, that makes a lot of sense, because the helmet looks like it was never reissued, so that idea does make sense. I will follow your advice with posting here first, for sure! Is there any way for sure to know if this is blood? I mean it has the characteristics that it is, the cut chinstrap, the shiny rust, and the black/dark brown liner, but is there any test to know for sure? I am just very curious, i am not some kind of freak lol. I do consider myself very very lucky as you say, Andy! I took it to a flea market today and a couple vendors offered me $400.00 for it but i declined. They were practically drooling over it. So this forum and the guys at the flea market have made me a happy camper with everyone's info, advice, and such. I really appreciate it again, i hate to sound redundant but i am just very grateful for such great information from very friendly people! I will have to agree with Dave, i do believe it is blood and someone might have treated it with something..

Doug and Jim, i only have a couple of KIA items in my collection, such as medals and paper items, but if it is indeed a WIA/KIA lid, it really takes a toll, a field used item with that connection is just crazy. i can just imagine the endless scenarios that could have happened or who or what the former wearer of the helmet had seen. It will be a long ride... i already want a second one... oh boy!

Thanks again guys,
    Haydn

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast