Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

First M42 stahlhelm

Article about: by helmetone The bottom line is being happy with whatever you have. If you like this post war repainted shell and want to restore it in some way, than go for it. It's not a helmet for me, bu

Default Re: First M42 stahlhelm

Quote by helmetone View Post
    The bottom line is being happy with whatever you have. If you like this post war repainted shell and want to restore it in some way, than go for it. It's not a helmet for me, but as was said, not everyone can drop a grand on a 100% helmet. Do te beat you can restoring it and enjoy it. You can always invest in a good helmet in the future. They aren't going anywhere, but the prices might go up
    As long as the person who owns the item is happy that's all that matters.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement First M42 stahlhelm
    P
    Many

If you are planing to by a new liner, there will be no way to mount it. Your "Helmet" has lots its liner band so you would have to source and attach one of those first. While doing that it will be rather easy to accomplish your goal of a restored helmet. If you are in the end happy with the shell it is an excellent outcome.

?

Quote by edelweiss123 View Post
    as long as people are happy with what's in their collection that's all that matters.
    That........

......is the bottom line.

No-one here has the right to tell anyone what they can do or what the can't do with items in the other person's collection. As long as the individual who owns the item is happy with it it's all that matters.

If a member wants to buy and study relic helmets they should be applauded for actually taking the time to study and learn about them and not taking the easy route by purchasing a nice new shiny lid from a reputable dealer and all it has to do is sit there and look pretty.

What people judge to be valuable and what they like is entirely their own prerogative and I will not sit back and let another member preach to another that they can't make their own mind up and tell them they are ludicrous and absurd in what they choose to collect. Out of order.

If any member wishes to collect relics then it is entirely up to them. If any member wishes to collect shiny double decal SS helmets it is entirely up to them neither one can criticise the other for their choice in collecting.

If you don't like discussing relic helmets then don't view the threads and don't anyone dare decide they know better than anyone else and tell another member their choice of collecting is wrong.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

I need to learn to speak with such diplomacy.

?

Thank you for your opinion KMMorris! I guess i didn't explain it very well... sorry for that. . I'm planing to buy a liner band with a liner, and also 3 nits .

?

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    Hi,the coralation seems to be that if you take the helmet size :ie SE 64, then take away 10 & add two,you will get the size of the liner band that you will require :ie 56. Leon.
    Or just take away 8 ;-)

I thought it was take away 12, add 4 ??

God this thread has gone very preachey since last I looked at it maybe some of the members here need to get off their soap boxes and get their heads out of their arses IMHO.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Been away for a bit and reading this thread now. I think what Frank is getting at is not what one should or shouldn't collect, it's about restoration vs. real and it's place both in this forum and amongst collectors.

As for the forum if the thread becomes about restoring the helmet then yes, it gets moved to the applicable section on the forum. Otherwise the conversation is about a shell with limited collector value as it is postwar overpainted and nothing much to be gained from it other than the feel of handling an original shell. There is no historical value that's been posted thus far or any provenance either. So it's a postwar painted NS M42.

However if the conversation is if it's worth it to restore that's a different matter altogether and collectors won't agree on it so its a moot point either way. Lets stick to the helmet as its posted. Ripper if you want this thread to be a restoration project then I will move it to the restoration section where you'll be able to discuss it there, or feel free to start a new thread.

Cheers congrats on your new helmet

Doug

PS any further posts not directly about the helmet will be deleted without prejudice.

?

Thanks Doug.Theres no need to move the thread.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast