MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Flea market find, worth keeping?

Article about: Thanks for sharing sweguy, its nice to have something to compare with. i have decided to do as you say and find something with a bit less history attached to it for my helmet project. I have

Default Flea market find, worth keeping?

Hello there.

I have been looking around the internet, to see if I could find some information on a German made helmet that I picked up at a flea market in Denmark a few years back. I didn't doubt its authenticity back then, since the stall holder had a few helmets on sale and seemed like a decent sort. Yet I keep coming across warnings regarding "fake" helmets on the internet. Looking through your forum, I found that this is possibly a M42 beaded helmet, issued for civilian use? The maker's stamp says ET66 and the liner has been fitted with cork/leather spacers to make the inside diameter smaller, which would explain a number 59 that has been written on the inside. The chinstraps are brittle and torn, but the leather lining is in good condition apart from a tear in one of the "fingers". The lining has been padded by some sort of coarse felt material. This all makes sense to me, seeing as Denmark never saw any (real) fighting and after the surrender of the German occupiers most of the war materiel was left behind.

Now, I was wanting to ask you guys for some advice.

1. is the helmet authentic and if so,
    2. how much is it worth?

I am asking, because I was thinking of refurbishing, so that it fits my head, it and maybe paint it some funky color. I would be hesitant to do so if it was actually worth any money in its current condition.

Thank you for your help

Árni

PS: I haven't tried uploading pictures before, so I don't know how they will turn out
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Flea market find, worth keeping?   Flea market find, worth keeping?  

Flea market find, worth keeping?   Flea market find, worth keeping?  

Flea market find, worth keeping?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Flea market find, worth keeping?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Flea market find, worth keeping?

Not an expert but it looks like an original civic type beaded m40 with "combat" style civic liner system w. its original shinstrap... No decals but it has that nice untouched look. Not worth a whole lot, maybe $150-200 (?), but do not re-paint or mess with it... you might as well throw it in the crusher if you decide on doing something like that, imo.

I'd strongly advice you to keep it as is... and if you have any interest in history you will These are collectible and this specimen looks like a pretty nice no-decal civic to me!

Nice un-messed with civil helmet. As posted above please do not repaint or do anything that will detract from its historic value. If you want a helmet to paint a funky colour why not sell it in the classified section of this forum. That should give you enough cash to buy a repro from ebay to do with as you wish and enough money left over for a good night out (although probably a short night in the Scandinavian countries with the price of there beer).

All the best

Robin

I'd reckon it would be enough for about 10 beers up here But, yeah... I agree, either keep it as is or sell it and splurge on a night out or another lid

I like these simple beaded Luftschutz helmets. This one is a very fine example. Jim G.

Welcome to the forum mate. It's nice to see a new member showing something other than a terrible fake SS helmet he is looking to 'authenticate'

I agree, nice example of the type. I'm not 100% that the liner and pins are the original German wartime though. Are the cork spacers square or round? they look to be round on the pics, and the pins look a little small to me. Pics of the backs of the pins after they pass through the liner band would be useful if possible. If anything, I'm thinking very early post-war refurbishment for some purpose or other, rubble clearance or fire service, etc. The shell is in it's wartime spec by the look of things.

PS. As was said earlier, please don't do anything to it!

Quote by KradSpam View Post
    Welcome to the forum mate. It's nice to see a new member showing something other than a terrible fake SS helmet he is looking to 'authenticate'

I agree, nice example of the type. I'm not 100% that the liner and pins are the original German wartime though. Are the cork spacers square or round? they look to be round on the pics, and the pins look a little small to me. Pics of the backs of the pins after they pass through the liner band would be useful if possible. If anything, I'm thinking very early post-war refurbishment for some purpose or other, rubble clearance or fire service, etc. The shell is in it's wartime spec by the look of things.

PS. As was said earlier, please don't do anything to it!
    Thank you for all the replies, I'm happy to find so much help on the subject!

It is pretty hard to get a picture of the pins as they come through the cardboard of the lining, but I do agree that they look a bit small compared to other pictures that I have seen. The pins are not completely rigid, they do move a bit, but seems to be quite integral to the card board lining. As for the spacers, they are indeed round, but seem to be made of leather rather than cork.

Perhaps you are right, in that I should rather keep it as it is, or sell it to someone who would appreciate the historical value of the helmet more than me.

?

Please, do us all a favor and don't touch the liner and the helmet with paint!!! Please!!! :-)

Beaded helmets to my knowledge were combat type factory rejects. Some claim the shell was rolled on a lathe to add the bead. That is disputed by some who say you can't add a bead later but helmets were made into other things after the war including colanders! Perhaps it was just to distinguish it from combat helmets or to add a bit of strength. These were also used by Volkssturm members too if I'm not mistaken. NH
    Last edited by Neil Hever; 05-14-2013 at 08:47 PM.

?

Sorry, not meant to hijack but it really reminds me of my "Beaded" with the same liner, paint and size of rivets, also an ET but 64. But your's in better shape

And yes, it has already been said but I think of the beatles song: let it be

Kind regards Sweguy

Flea market find, worth keeping?Flea market find, worth keeping?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast