Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Found in front of the reichstag M35 DD Heer

Article about: Hello I want to share this wonderful Item of history with you It is a M35 groundfound DD Heer in relative good condition The Tricolor is better visible than the Eagle It was made by SE size

Quote by Rakkasan187 View Post
    Mark,

Brings back sooo many memories of being there.. Wall Patrol on the back of the open Gun jeeps, the Ku-dam, Reichstag, Soviet War Memorial, Treptow Park, The Irish Pub, The Queens Birthday celebration and the Olympic Stadium fields,, fighting in Ruhleben City,, Freedom Bridge,,, Rose Range, parks Range, Montgomery Barracks, Gatow field, Spandau Prison and guarding Rudolf Hess, our British and French allies, the Black Watch and the KOSB (Kings Own Scottish Borderers) what a time to be in Berlin,, in the 80's and 90's....

I will have to get my pictures out and start a thread...

Smitty
    A cracking idea, I'm sure that setting parameters of personal service in all locations in any armed forces of all nations should throw up masses of material as an aside to the main core of the hobby. It should probably inspire a few other topics too.

I would suggest that the only stipulations be; material should relate to one's own service (including recreational stuff) and keep it light rather than grim (I'm sure we are all interested in entertaining rather than horrific stuff). I guess most of us are happy to talk about the fun stuff and not too keen on the stuff that might titillate the ghoulishly inclined or trigger PTSD.

You get the idea, blokes falling over in muddly puddles = , mangled corpse hanging out of a tank =

Anything relating to service life in an either an historically informative or amusing vein should be good.

Let's have a bit of fun and maybe learn something too

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Found in front of the reichstag M35 DD Heer
    P
    Many

Mark, Smitty, don't hesitate. Your service in Berlin is screaming to open a new thread.

Let's see how those young soldiers were!!

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    As an aside; At a bit of a tangent to the topic but still relevant to the dicussion of "buried trasure" I hope. these pics were taken circa 1987 (I was a Sgt then in British Sector Operations) on the top of the Reichtag (tower roof closest to the Brandenburger Tor) The NVA GT had an OP on top of the Brandenburger Tor and seemed a bit pissed that we could look down on them from ours

The area between the two boundaries of the border zone has since been dug and built on very extensively. The large block of flats visible beyond the Brandenburger Tor is very close to where the Fuhrerbunker was and what remains of it is in the area between the boundaries in this picture. Just in this area alone you can see the potential for relic finding in ground undisturbed for decades and which had never been totally "cleared".

I hope this is of interest

Regards

Mark

PS Don't know why the 1st pic is repeated below and I can't delete it!!!
    I agree Mark, and you only have to recall (for those of us old enough) the huge amount of war material that had to be cleared before the famous Pink Floyd "The Wall" gig in Berlin.

Indeed and for anyone who doesn't appreciate the connection the site of the concert was the spot in-between the Brandenburger Tor and Potsdamerplatz shown in picture 4 in my post #17 above. This was an area that had undergone very little clearance beyond levelling the ground when the wall was built and which was undisturbed until the wall fell. Just out of sight in the picture hidden in the wooded area, is a small section of land bound on one side by the remains of Lennestrasse. This section of land was triangular and formed a "salient" in the sector boundary between the British and Soviet sectors which it was impractical to enclose with the "Wall" so it was fenced on two sides with the "Wall" closing the third side. This was known as "The Lenne Triangle" and was in effect a small enclave of DDR territory on the West Berlin side of the "Wall". It too was very problematic especially when the wall fell. There were quite a few areas like this but more of that when we get a separate thread going.

It will be years yet before these "Relic" finds become history themselves.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    As an aside; At a bit of a tangent to the topic but still relevant to the dicussion of "buried trasure" I hope. these pics were taken circa 1987 (I was a Sgt then in British Sector Operations) on the top of the Reichtag (tower roof closest to the Brandenburger Tor) The NVA GT had an OP on top of the Brandenburger Tor and seemed a bit pissed that we could look down on them from ours

The area between the two boundaries of the border zone has since been dug and built on very extensively. The large block of flats visible beyond the Brandenburger Tor is very close to where the Fuhrerbunker was and what remains of it is in the area between the boundaries in this picture. Just in this area alone you can see the potential for relic finding in ground undisturbed for decades and which had never been totally "cleared".

Attachment 1374742Attachment 1374744Attachment 1374745Attachment 1374746

I hope this is of interest

Regards

Mark

PS Don't know why the 1st pic is repeated below and I can't delete it!!!
    I was Laarbruch at the time, we used to come to Gatow and play them at Rugby, for some reason always ended getting chucked out of Mon Cheris for calling naked bar!!!! no sense of humour!
    Ben

Quote by Ben Evans View Post
    I was Laarbruch at the time, we used to come to Gatow and play them at Rugby, for some reason always ended getting chucked out of Mon Cheris for calling naked bar!!!! no sense of humour!
    Hahaha! Mon Cheri (aka "Monshers") in Stuttgarterplatz (Stutty Platz to the Brits)

We used to "sit-up" in Stuttgarterplatz and wait for things to "kick off" then chase the offenders down the street (not at all enthusiastically - more for show in front of the locals really).

I recall a "Schnelly" (Schnellimbiss) there that served a chilli sauce capable of stripping paint.

Happy day!

Stuttgarterplatz is quite "up-market" these days

Regards

Mark

Quote by texasuberalles View Post
    What a miracle that the string in the top of the helmet liner survived so minty fresh and white...…
    + 1

Im sure the seller has an answer for that as well ..lol
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Bavarian fitted the liner and band himself (as he has pointed out a couple of times), so I don’t think the originality of the string is in question.
    Personally, I would have kept it liner-free... it is, after all, a relic.

All the best to all,
    Bob

Quote by Kohima View Post
    Bavarian fitted the liner and band himself (as he has pointed out a couple of times), so I don’t think the originality of the string is in question.
    Personally, I would have kept it liner-free... it is, after all, a relic.

All the best to all,
    Bob
    Exactly ..the string was never original to the liner to begin with but Tex and my replies were posted out of sarcasm.
    Yet ...it is true that it is a relic and should not of been messed with ..which neither helps the helmet or the story.

Reminds me of the little old lady from Pasadena story
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Hello
    Intresting story about your army time in berlin
    I am only were there was on a excursion
    To the helmet
    It was found like it was(not the string in the liner)
    It is unopened and the seller show me some pictures who this helmet leigh in a hole with some cadings and so on
    Sadly he forbidden me to share it with you in case of privacy
    BR
    Bavarian

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast