Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Fresh out of an attic this week. M40?

Article about: Sometimes it pays to let people know what you collect. A Electrician mate of mine found this. He was in the attic running a new cable, moved some old glass wool insulation and this was below

Default Fresh out of an attic this week. M40?

Sometimes it pays to let people know what you collect.
    A Electrician mate of mine found this. He was in the attic running a new cable, moved some old glass wool insulation and this was below it. Thinking of me he then asked the owner of the house who had no idea that it was there if he could have it for a mate who collects this kind of crap (his words not mine) and great! I am now the new owner.
    I only know a little about German lids. So any info welcome.
    Don’t think its anything special but I like due to the fact that its my first german lid and the way it was found.
    No idea why the liner has been altered like this, do I dare to try and put it back the way it should be.
    Looks like 974 on the back skirt and h??6 on the left skirt.
    Also looks like the helmet has been repainted including the inside of the skirt which is a different colour to the outside. When I have no idea.
    This is the way it was found.
    Anyway what do you think of it please good or bad.
    Regards
    Rod

Fresh out of an attic this week. M40?Fresh out of an attic this week. M40?Fresh out of an attic this week. M40?Fresh out of an attic this week. M40?Fresh out of an attic this week. M40?Fresh out of an attic this week. M40?Fresh out of an attic this week. M40?Fresh out of an attic this week. M40?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Fresh out of an attic this week. M40?
    P
    Many

?

I need some mates!

?

Maybe the liner has rotted through , and someone has tried to keep it all together. Looks a cool lid.

Still looks pretty cool and the 40 is my favorite model.

Hi, looks like it could be a SE shell. I agree, looks repainted, postwar to me, does not have the patina of 70 year old paint from those pics. Also, the name does not look period. The chinstrap and liner look original but not sure why the leather tongues have been rotated within the liner band, may well have damaged it (I would leave as is). Sure is useful as a militaria collecter to have a mate who has access to attics.

Thanks guys for the nice comments.
    I thought it was a nice wee find. Don't think there will be many of these in attics in my town.
    The liner is in pretty good condition I was more worried about damaging the pins. Fresh out of an attic this week. M40?Fresh out of an attic this week. M40?

like it.

MAP
    ?

This is a weird lid. Shell, liner and strap look fine. But....

1) The liner has been removed, cut down maybe and re-installed. Those split pins attaching the leather to the liner band should be on the underside of the leather with the heads being on the outside facing the liner band and the prongs facing the inside and under the leather. Basically, the leather is attached to the OUTSIDE of the band, pinned (with the heads facing outside) and then flipped over the liner band and into the dome of the shell. A bit confusing to explain. The leather itself is NOT inside out. I would suspect that the leather was worn down and tearing, so someone removed it, cut out the bad parts and then re-installed it. But since there was less leather they could not attach it the correct way and flip it over so they basically attached it the way they did. When? Who knows....
    2) Also the sewn seam of the liner is in the wrong position. It should be in the rear of the helmet, not the side. Unheard of? No, but very abnormal and unlikely
    3) At first I thought the name was good, but looking closer, the name is painted OVER what appears to be a grease or paint drip coming from liner area (Photo #6). Proof it is post war? Again, no, it could have been re-issued to a new soldier but a question mark none the less.
    4) Not sure of the "camo" paint on the outside. Pictures were too blury when expanded. And for me it is very difficult to opine on camo unless very obvious to originality or bad fakes.

What has me puzzled is the story. Now we always say..."Don't buy the story", in this case I'm willing to consider it as if this really sat in an attic "hidden" under insulation for years (maybe the house was sold once or twice with new owners), I find it difficult to believe it was "faked"....I just don't know. Hopefully others will see and give their opinions. (And my comments are just that, opinions. Nothing textbook here).

Here are a few pictures that hopefully will give you a visual of what the liner installation should look like. The leather starts pinned to the outside, then should wrap OVER the band and down into the helmet....

Fresh out of an attic this week. M40?Fresh out of an attic this week. M40?Fresh out of an attic this week. M40?Fresh out of an attic this week. M40?Fresh out of an attic this week. M40?
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Good stuff Michael in your appraisal, for me it is a post war "cammo" paint job on a semi-relic shell, that has had replacement leather fitted incorrectly. Granted, it looks as though this was done some time ago, but the fact remains that this was not a Reich period re-furb. It would have been all to easy to find another lid if needed rather than putting in all that mis-mash work. Leon.

MAP
    ?

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    Good stuff Michael in your appraisal, for me it is a post war "cammo" paint job on a semi-relic shell, that has had replacement leather fitted incorrectly. Granted, it looks as though this was done some time ago, but the fact remains that this was not a Reich period re-furb. It would have been all to easy to find another lid if needed rather than putting in all that mis-mash work. Leon.
    I tend to stay away from giving opinions on camo paint schemes...not a strength (yet) but more importantly too subjective unless in hand under a USB...but agree with you. I think a telling point is that the camo paint on exterior split pin is not cracked nor do you see the typical circular wear around the pin from the inside liner moving around. More so since it is a fact that the liner were messed with. Thus it would lend to the possibility that the liner was repaired and THEN the paint was applied. Not a good sign.

And yes, the liner is not an "official" german depot repair and extremely unlikely that it was a desperation "field" repair.

I could see believing it if there was one "yellow" flag to go along with the story, but there are too many yellow flags which as we know = a red flag....LoL.

As said, a weird lid.

Just me rambling....but I just don't get why a helmet would be stored hidden in an attic. This would typically fit with the story of a vet bring a lid home and putting it away and forgetting about it and 70 years later someone finding it (like this story). If a collector bought this, they wouldn't have hid it away. They would have displayed it. Again...just the broken wheels in my head turning...trying to connect dots that aren't meant to be connected...

M
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast