Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Genuine M42??

Article about: My dad bought this helmet in Germany back in the 70's for about \\$30. The liner was an obvious fake and the shell looks repainted. It has a maker's mark on the inside, "Q64" and wha

?

Default Genuine M42??

My dad bought this helmet in Germany back in the 70's for about $30. The liner was an obvious fake and the shell looks repainted. It has a maker's mark on the inside, "Q64" and what looks like "DN 541". Would be greatful for any comments/opinions as to its authenticity. Many thanks to this fantastic forum!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Genuine M42??
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Genuine M42??

That appears to be a very rare Q M42. We have one in the GHW database rear stamped with DN540 and only 1 more at DN538 also rear marked, so this puts it right in there. This is an exceptionally rare helmet and has a lot of value even in this condition (repainted and no liner). It appears someone placed a decal on it at one time, this would have been issued as a no decal helmet and is late production.

Very nice helmet, one worthy of a removing that postwar paint as soon as possible!

My compliments!

PS I have only seen 2 of these before.

?

Quote by DougB View Post
    That appears to be a very rare Q M42. We have one in the GHW database rear stamped with DN540 and only 1 more at DN538 also rear marked, so this puts it right in there. This is an exceptionally rare helmet and has a lot of value even in this condition (repainted and no liner). It appears someone placed a decal on it at one time, this would have been issued as a no decal helmet and is late production.

Very nice helmet, one worthy of a removing that postwar paint as soon as possible!

My compliments!

Thanks for your very encouraging response. Last week I purchased a pitifully faked SS helmet and was fortunate enough to get my money back after much advice from this forum. Do you have any idea of this helmet's value? How would you suggest removing the paint?

i would leave paint as is,,,if it were left up to me

?

I am not a paint removal expert and have never done so but there are those here with the expertise to remove the paint.

Why keep postwar paint on this when the real period paint appears to be underneath militarymania? I mean to each his own but here you have an opportunity to restore a very rare helmet to its former glory for very little cost.

As for value, it is always subjective and in its present state I am really not sure what one would pay for a Q 42 postwar painted shell. But here is some perspective. I think a no decal Q M42 with liner sold for over $1000, Frank has a better memory for these things than I, on GHW about 3 years ago.

I would consult with a collector who goes by the name of Brian Ice on GHW, he specializes in late war helmets to get a value as it is right up his alley. But with the brown paint removed and assuming that the feldgrau factory paint was intact underneath and in good shape I would not be surprised to see this fetch $500 or maybe even a lot more as M42 or maker/model specific collectors might kill for one of these to complete a set. This one I dare say would be worthy of a liner restoration as well assuming the paint was removed and full disclosure was given. I know that is heresy to some but for rare pieces like this, I think is justified bringing a helmet back. (Do not paint it or add decals. That is now getting into faking territory).

My collecting specialty is not M42 no decal helmets so if anyone feels the price is incorrect please feel free to speak up. I specialize in those naSSty SS helmets....

i have seen one q 42 painted red on a show for 1500 gbp and it was sold real quick

Doug , if someone is really looking for a ND Q M42 they may spend that kind of money , personally I'd put that money to better use myself.
    This looks like a Norgy reissued one , if the helmet is from the seventies I'd be surprised the liner is fake. Perhaps post WW2.
    I'd value it as any repainted shell , less than 150$ (again personally I'd not spend money on it).

?

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    Doug , if someone is really looking for a ND Q M42 they may spend that kind of money , personally I'd put that money to better use myself.
    This looks like a Norgy reissued one , if the helmet is from the seventies I'd be surprised the liner is fake. Perhaps post WW2.
    I'd value it as any repainted shell , less than 150$ (again personally I'd not spend money on it).

Thanks for your response. The pictured liner came with this helmet (Klinger said the liner was postwar East German fire/police vintage). It was not attached and the helmet lacked any split pins.

Quote by Pablo View Post
    Thanks for your response. The pictured liner came with this helmet (Klinger said the liner was postwar East German fire/police vintage). It was not attached and the helmet lacked any split pins.
    it still is what i told you and i guess someone just put this one in to display it or something, but this came for shure later then

?

Quote by DougB View Post

My compliments!

Here is a pic of the inside. Is this some of the original paint showing through? The green repainting looks pretty crappy and wonder why someone would repaint if the original paint looked ok? I stuck decals on it when I was younger, but subsequently removed them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast