Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

german decal

Article about: I need help abaut this german decal....is it real and what is it for? Id like too buy a helmet with this kind of a decal....this is the best picture of it ,,,sory abaut that...thanks for ans

Default Re: german decal

Hi Doug, Thanks for the reply and the images of the repro l/s decals. The reasons that I am suspicious of the decal on the piece that I mentioned include the lack of detail on the upper most portions of the wings, the size of the swastica, and most of all, the size and dimensions of the lettering in the field above the swastica. The letters look too thin and do not match up with the 15 or so l/s pieces in my collection. Maybe it is a variation amoung manufacturers, but I still question the decal. Thanks again, Jim G.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement german decal
    P
    Many

?

Quote by helmet2id View Post
    Hi Doug, Thanks for the reply and the images of the repro l/s decals. The reasons that I am suspicious of the decal on the piece that I mentioned include the lack of detail on the upper most portions of the wings, the size of the swastica, and most of all, the size and dimensions of the lettering in the field above the swastica. The letters look too thin and do not match up with the 15 or so l/s pieces in my collection. Maybe it is a variation amoung manufacturers, but I still question the decal. Thanks again, Jim G.
    Thanks Jim, like I said LS decals are not my cuppa and I do not know the variations between the manufacturers. It sounds like you have a very robust collection of them!

Anyone else see that one?

The decal that started this thread purports to be a Styrian Home Federation helmet. The unit was brought about to protect Styria(German state located in the south-east of Austria) against partisans. The troops wore a brown uniform similar to the SA, The insignia was stencilled, and crudely too, however I believe that this helmet is there to fool the un-initiated, being as rare as the proverbial hen's teeth.

As a footnote a unit of "executive troops" under German Admin in the Polish General Gov, was also issued these helmets, but in such small numbers, that nothing much is known about them

Personally I would steer clear, but that's JMO

?

Quote by John Brandon View Post
    The decal that started this thread purports to be a Styrian Home Federation helmet. The unit was brought about to protect Styria(German state located in the south-east of Austria) against partisans. The troops wore a brown uniform similar to the SA, The insignia was stencilled, and crudely too, however I believe that this helmet is there to fool the un-initiated, being as rare as the proverbial hen's teeth.

As a footnote a unit of "executive troops" under German Admin in the Polish General Gov, was also issued these helmets, but in such small numbers, that nothing much is known about them

Personally I would steer clear, but that's JMO

Interesting info John , never heard of that unit before
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Same here, good one John!

Regarding the LS decal, I agree with Jim, there is some concern on that one. It lacks detail and is weak regarding the graphics, which also appear to be much too matt. It also resembles a plastic-like composition.
    Don

?

Quote by Donald L. View Post
    Regarding the LS decal, I agree with Jim, there is some concern on that one. It lacks detail and is weak regarding the graphics, which also appear to be much too matt. It also resembles a plastic-like composition.
    Don

Don, welcome! Well if 2 good LS collectors dont like it there must be something to it. LS decals are not my strong suit.

Thanks for weighing in.
    Doug

edit- I have passed on Jim and Don's comments about the LS decaled gladiator helmet to Peter Whammond owner of the Collectors Guild. Peter is a straight up guy and would want to know.
    Last edited by DougB; 08-16-2009 at 03:09 PM.

Thanks Doug, also thank you for getting it touch with Peter, I've known him for many years and fully agree with you.
    Don

?

Just an update, Peter just emailed me and the helmet has been returned to the owner who had it consigned. Peter sends along his thanks Don and Jim and we have another LS fake decal to contend with. Good catch guys.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2