Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

German Helment authentication required, local auction pick up today ...

Article about: Hi all, Not usually my area of interest , I picked this up cheaply at a local non military auction. Would appreciate if anyone can confirm originality please, and value if correct. Rear is s

Hello Steve,

You dont need a magnifying glass to see where its been sanded and scratched.Not keen on this one sorry.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German Helment authentication required, local auction pick up today ...
    P
    Many

To my eyes it has had several iterations of life (including as a faux-SS) and as many coats of paint. The scratch and sanding marks are obvious.

Would have add that a 1939 CS on an M42 is a little more than odd also n'est-ce pas?

..you win some and you lose some !! ;-)

The maker and lot number stampings are a huge red flag in my eyes. The lot number stamping is at least one half inch too close to the outer rim as Leon has pointed out. I have included a picture of a maker mark on an ET66 M42 of mine so you can compare it to yours.
    Steve
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German Helment authentication required, local auction pick up today ...  

?

There's something really wrong with this one. Bad pics but it appears the liner is repro, looks to be the same for the strap, and I'm thinking the shell is as well. The stampings look to be added after the fact and are way out of alignment, not to mention they are haphazardly applied, the flare of the rim and the general shape look off as well. Looks like a fake SS decal was on there, and the paint...that's a whole other story. Almost looks to be made of a thinner gauge steel. The red rust on the pins and liner frame too, a bad sign. This whole helmet just screams stay away to me.

Nice new avatar, Doug!

The shell could be original, i saw a helmet on GHW with lot number almost off the skirt (M42). But the rest is shit.

?

It could be but I've never seen out of alignment stampings on an ET like this before, it's strange.

this one was best left at the auction house...

?

Any chance you can return this treasure?

Brad.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2