Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

German helmet passed down by Grandfather

Article about: Hello all- I have been trying to find somebody that could tell me a little info about a helmet that was passed down to me by my grandfather, and I wound up here. Seems that message boards li

Default Re: German helmet passed down by Grandfather

Here is a general idea of its value: The Collector's Guild

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German helmet passed down by Grandfather
    P
    Many

?

I think DougB would be interested in this one, i must admit it certainly looks the part, and if completely authentic, worth a fair bit of money

After comparing the decal with original examples, I have decided that I believe your helmet is 100% authentic. The best thing to do for it is leave it completely alone. Put it up on a high shelf away from the dog and kids and leave it be. Whatever you do, don't try to cover it in chemicals to preserve the leather or paint. Over time, this just makes the leather worse. Keep it exactly how it is, just brush the dust off lightly with a cloth every once in awhile.

I just can't get over how beautiful this helmet is.

?

OK, here is some history that I just got from my father regarding where/when my grandfather served in WWII.

My grandfather apparently was 29 when drafted into the Army later in the war- around 1943 and was assigned to a truck company. When in Europe he was a truck driver for the Red Ball Express and supposedly his group was supplying the command. Looking up Red Ball Express I found that 75% of the drivers were African American, but my grandfather was not.

The history of the helmet according to what my grandfather told my dad was that he personally had found it. Of course considering he was a supply truck driver one would assume he had plenty of access to items.

This is turning into an interesting history lesson for me!

Next up is to head down to my dads house. I had no idea, but he told me this morning that he has a number of swords that my grandfather brought back with him as well from Europe. No idea what type, where they are from, etc. Like the helmet, they have been sitting in storage for more than 20 years.

?

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    After comparing the decal with original examples, I have decided that I believe your helmet is 100% authentic. The best thing to do for it is leave it completely alone. Put it up on a high shelf away from the dog and kids and leave it be. Whatever you do, don't try to cover it in chemicals to preserve the leather or paint. Over time, this just makes the leather worse. Keep it exactly how it is, just brush the dust off lightly with a cloth every once in awhile.

I just can't get over how beautiful this helmet is.
    Very cool! I have to imagine that it is authentic as I have no idea why my grandfather would have a fake. I remember the helmet from the time I was a little boy, with it sitting in my grandfathers workshop. That was mid- 70's. My dad says he always remembered the helmet when he was growing up as well.

I figured that just leaving it alone was the best thing. It actually looks nicer than the picture I took last night. The color is good, and while there is some rust, it does not show up nearly as pronounced as the pics make it seem.

Great helmet! Definitely do not add any type of liquids, gels, creams, lacquers or anything to it or it will be ruined. Keep it safe and please take photos of the other items your grandfather brought home. You may find yourself becoming a collector as it is a very addictive hobby. Unless you get absolutely desperate for money, don't ever sell.

?

OK- Sorry for the dumb questions- but I have another one. Is there a reason to "authenticate" this helmet? As mentioned, I don't have any intention of selling it, but maybe for insurance reasons? If I should authenticate... where do I do that at, or is there a good reference?

Thanks again!

Some people will sell certificates of authenticity, but they aren't really worth it in my opinion. Ken Niewiarowicz can provide you with one. He is among the "kings" of German helmet collectors. Here's his site: http://www.germanhelmetsinc.com/index

Quote by Nalu View Post
    OK- Sorry for the dumb questions- but I have another one. Is there a reason to "authenticate" this helmet? As mentioned, I don't have any intention of selling it, but maybe for insurance reasons? If I should authenticate... where do I do that at, or is there a good reference?

Thanks again!
    your questions are not dumb. I'm no expert, but it looks like a very good combat helmet, like everyone else said, just keep it & pass it down as you said, even though I spent 12 years in the military I have just been collecting a little over a year so I'm still learning, but you have a nice treasure, only one of my grandfathers made it home from the war, my moms dad never made it back alive. my other grandfather had some pistols & other German items, he told me that they were all mine, but he passed away while I was in the navy, needless to say I came home to be a pall bearer, when I asked about the German things he had, they were gone. anyway you have my favorite helmet, the strap looks like a field repair. let us know about the swords, thanks for showing your SS helmet it made my day. I only have 1 German helmet, it is also a SS helmet, but it was in way worse shape than yours, but I wish I could go back because I had it restored, now I regret it, your helmet is in pretty good shape.
    regards Marty

Great Helmet and a fine family heirloom. Rich

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast