Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

German Helmet Shell

Article about: Hi all, I'm just looking for a positive ID on this helmet as I am no expert on the various models. The helmet was found whilst metal detecting in Normandy, along with other helmets including

Default German Helmet Shell

Hi all, I'm just looking for a positive ID on this helmet as I am no expert on the various models. The helmet was found whilst metal detecting in Normandy, along with other helmets including FSJ helmets of which I posted on another thread.

Please note that I have already proven to the mods of the forum that I follow all of the regulations pertaining to metal detecting in France, so please refrain from using this post as a platform for opening discussions on the legality of detecting in a foreign country.

Obviously the helmet is a little worse for wear having spent 70 plus years in the ground but I love that there is still a little amount of the chicken wire attached. No decals unfortunately, but there are still traces of paint on the interior of the rim and on the rivets.

Admittedly the pictures aren't the best but I would be really interested to hear your opinions. Thanks in advance for taking the time to look.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German Helmet Shell   German Helmet Shell  

German Helmet Shell  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German Helmet Shell
    P
    Many

Nice! This is the type of helmet that you just cannot clean, it will remove the wire remains. Looks like a small size M35 to me from these pics. Is any of the air vents visible from the inside? And if it is, can you take a photo?

Cheers

I'd say an M35!...

Quote by LeonardoL View Post
    Nice! This is the type of helmet that you just cannot clean, it will remove the wire remains.
    Not necessarily. I cleaned my relic wire lid and the wire that had encrusted to the shell remained. I used an oxalic acid bath for the cleaning process.

German Helmet Shell

German Helmet Shell

Hope this helps
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German Helmet Shell  

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    Not necessarily. I cleaned my relic wire lid and the wire that had encrusted to the shell remained. I used an oxalic acid bath for the cleaning process.
    Really nice, but your wire has some structural integrity; his wire is in pieces and only held to the shell by the rust.
    I think youre lucky that yours didnt break since its so thin

Sections of the wire on my lid are rusted to the shell also. Nothing was lost during the cleaning process as the helmet was only soaking in the acid and a gentle scrub was applied after the soak.

German Helmet Shell
    German Helmet Shell
    German Helmet Shell
    German Helmet Shell