Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

German Helmets at an Antique Mall

Article about: I found a few German helmets at a local antique mall, I'm pretty sure they're all original, but as always would like a second opinion before I decide whether I want to purchase them or not.

Default German Helmets at an Antique Mall

I found a few German helmets at a local antique mall, I'm pretty sure they're all original, but as always would like a second opinion before I decide whether I want to purchase them or not. Sadly I failed to get good quality pictures, but I'll upload what I managed to take. The WW1 Stalhelm and Luftschutz helmet are both without liner, but the WW2 Stalhelm does have a liner. I'm not sure if these are great prices, but they seem reasonable if they're truly originals. Any opinions are welcome!

German Helmets at an Antique MallGerman Helmets at an Antique MallGerman Helmets at an Antique MallGerman Helmets at an Antique MallGerman Helmets at an Antique MallGerman Helmets at an Antique Mall

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German Helmets at an Antique Mall
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

I would pass on the Luftshutz without the liner. Decent shell but not worth that amount.

The M18 is a transitional (WW1 helmet converted for WW2 use). You can see the decal scratched off as well as the replaced split pin. A WW1 split pin looks more line a nail head. Just do a search here and you will see what I mean...Personally I don't know what the going price for one in this condition would go for but for me, I would pass. No decal, no liner...just a shell.

The third is a basic fire/police helmet (Don't you already own one of these M34's?). Not a combat helmet. Decal scratched off but it has a decent liner. Price isn't crazy but again, these are plentiful and the appeal is in the decal so I would wait.

Now.....I like that who ever is selling these is honest LoL!!!!. I did see a tag for a helmet mentioning a "repro" SS decal. But I would be REALLY interested in what they say about the M1 Medic. A rare beast indeed and 99 out of 100 are fake.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Hi, I guess it depends on your budget, but personally I would pass on them all as they are of low collector interest due to type and condition. As Michael says, that US M1 medic lid "if" original is a corker, but I have to admit that even from these images I do not think I would be giving that a second glance either. Leon.

Thanks for the info guys! I usually go to this antique mall every once in a while, so I'll be sure to check out that US M1 next time I swing by and I'll be sure to keep y'all updated on what I find out, thanks again!

MAP
    ?

Quote by chbingle View Post
    Thanks for the info guys! I usually go to this antique mall every once in a while, so I'll be sure to check out that US M1 next time I swing by and I'll be sure to keep y'all updated on what I find out, thanks again!
    With a price of $95.00 for that M1 Medic I would tend to believe it is not real...or the find of the year

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    With a price of $95.00 for that M1 Medic I would tend to believe it is not real...or the find of the year
    I know very little about Helmets (espically US helmets), are there any good giveaways or ways to determine the reals from the fakes?

I know very little about Helmets (espically US helmets), are there any good giveaways or ways to determine the reals from the fakes?
    Most US medics are post WW2 , could be Korean or just re-done.
    The helmet should be a front seam to be WW2 preferably with fixed bales as that puts it definitely before 1945.
    Then there is the paint , is it the first original paint or a later repaint ;-)
    Nothing is simple :-)

I would pass on all the German ones.

MAP
    ?

Frank pretty much said it all.

Take good clear photos -> realistic rendering of the paint color and media (cork or sand). Then see if you can get a shot of the heat stamp (always difficult to photograph and sometimes hard to find), bales and straps.

Then the M1 guys should be able to help.

But heck. Even if it is a K war Medic, I wouldn't mind owning it.

But still most are fake.

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    Most US medics are post WW2 , could be Korean or just re-done.
    The helmet should be a front seam to be WW2 preferably with fixed bales as that puts it definitely before 1945.
    Then there is the paint , is it the first original paint or a later repaint ;-)
    Nothing is simple :-)

I would pass on all the German ones.
    Thanks for the info! I’ll be sure to check it out next time I’m there

I plan on going back to the antique mall later today and will try to get some good pictures of the US M1 Medic Helmet. Dumb question but what are the bales and what should they look like on a proper M1? The owner is hardly ever there so I can’t ask him any questions so will have to decide whether or not to buy it without gaining any knowledge of the Helmet from him

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast