Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

German helmets number one?

Article about: hmmm loved ole margarine legs jimp but if i could own any light weapon id love an fg42 either variant lol we enjoyed taking the flash eliminator off of our m177s and giving off a two foot fl

Default German helmets number one?

I was reading a book on militaria nd it clearly stated that the ww1 and 2 german helmet is the most sought after war collcetible in the world.do you aggree with that or is there in your opinion other items that come close or surpass the german helmet as the most collected?personally i agrree ,the design is iconic and practicle and it is the one item of equipment that you regognize german soldiers wearing.LV

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German helmets number one?
    P
    Many

Default Re: German helmets number one?

its all a matter of preference, i for one prefer german helmets over anything else. you will find a lot of people who like other things though. some people are more into WWII vehicles, and some are even really specific. i once met a guy who collects nothing but purple hearts.

Yes, I think it's all a matter of personal taste....I know some US collectors that are Gaga over ww2 weapons. They would argue that the K98, MP40 and M1 Garand are iconic of ww2. I too really enjoy helmets - and can automatically make the link to ww2 given their unique look. Given the choice - I would choose a helmet, I think.
    All comes down to what people want to collect!
    Rob

i would say that the Luger pistol is the most desirable,helmets a close second,,,i like all of it so i don't have a real preference,,,it's all good!,,,

well if were gonna go that far then i think a german tank of some sort would be the top priority of my list lol.

at the bottom would be 70's era m1 helmets... i cant stand them for some reason.

well if we are talking that way i would swap 90% of my german helmets if someone drives a russian t34 tank into my drive way for me,lv

?

Personally, I would settle for a
    L7A1/2 GPMG with SF kit
    L1A1 SLR
    L4A4 LMG (rebarrelled Bren) complete

And THE all-time greatest machine-gun, (personal opinion only!)
    The VICKERS MMG.

Im not a great fan of collecting helmets, I wore one for way too long!

Each to their own.

Regards etc

Ian D
    AKA: Jimpy

?

In practical collecting terms I think collecting helmets outranks collecting anything else in sheer scale unless you consider awards collecting as 1 genre of collecting. Other than an Iron Cross nothing is more iconic than the German helmet.
    Of course I would take a tank as well, having almost bought a T34 however the shipping from Russia to where I live would have cost about 10 times what the tank was worth. And then there was the restoration costs....I will stick to German helmets LOL.

Hi,
    i just think there is something about the german helmet, i really dont know what it is but it,s a great design and very collectable item. i have eleven of them and would get more if i could, but i think jimpy has just reminded me why i like my weapons to.
    The top three listed in his fav,s are the best i have ever fired
    and i would have an S.L.R, any day.
    Dave.

?

Quote by Panzer 3 View Post
    Hi,
    i just think there is something about the german helmet, i really dont know what it is but it,s a great design and very collectable item. i have eleven of them and would get more if i could, but i think jimpy has just reminded me why i like my weapons to.
    The top three listed in his fav,s are the best i have ever fired
    and i would have an S.L.R, any day.
    Dave.
    Thanks Dave

The only one of my 4 favourites that I havent actually fired is the Vickers, there is just "something" about the weapon that I love!

I developed a "love-hate" relationship with the GPMG when I was wearing a cabbage suit in the 1980's. My primary weapon was the SLR, with secondary as the GPMG.
    Long story cut, (very), short.
    I was a Radio Operator in an infantry unit on Clansman. My then section corporal got promoted and given the task of reforming a dedicated SF platoon in my battalion. He needed a Radio op' and asked me to go over as his platoon operator, guaranteed L/Cpl stripes, but I would have to do the SF Fire Controllers course as well. I ended up doing two courses back to back, JNCO's followed by SF Fire Controllers! (And yes, I did pass both!) 4.5 years in the infantry and 3.5 years in the Engineers and I spent just under 4 of them with bloody machine-guns!!

Hence the forum nickname of "Jimpy"

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

PS: Sorry for hijacking the original thread guys.
    Last edited by jimpy; 07-10-2010 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Addition/Grammar

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast