Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

German helmets used for other reasons.

Article about: Sort of a variation on the theme of "turning swords into plowshares"...although admittedly that motto has more cachet than "turning helmets into chamber pots." I like the

HVK
    ?

Talking Re: German helmets used for other reasons.

Quote by Wolfspear View Post
    My Grandparents had one under the bed which they used as a chamber pot

I have sat on it many times

Nick
    In a Danish magazin called Vaabenhistorisk Tidsskrift there were an interesting picture years ago. It showed a big pile of german helmets and a man hammering on the top of them with a hammer. He hammered it over some sort of mandrel to get it flat in the bottom (top). These were being converted to chamber pots... So I think this business was being done in all Europe....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German helmets used for other reasons.
    P
    Many

Default Re: German helmets used for other reasons.

My uncle was in the 7th armoured brigade during the war 12th lancers and he is still alive today at 94 his memory is perfect he tells me.When he came home on leave after el alamein he bought back a german afrika corps helmet with the decals he removed the liner and put it in the airraid shelter at the bottom of the garden for use as a toilet for the kids!!! at the end of the war the liner stayed in the shelter and my uncle and another relative filled the bunker in with soil!!! grrrrrr and at the same time he took some leather gloves from an officer which he used into the early 90's as gardening gloves.He cant understand why we all collect this junk? lol.

Also can anybody tell me please why on my brothers last tour to Afghanistan he was at the market that came into Kandahar airbase and they were selling ww1 german helmets m18 and ww2 m35's and they are correct as i have one of each.What would these helmets be doing over in Afghanistan in numbers can anyone tell me please?

The helmets were supplied to the Afgan Army. They are now a popular souvenir.

Cheers, Ade.

I cried a little bit when i saw the FJ helmet .....it was sad few moments in my house.lol..My grandpa brought back 3 foot lockers full of stuff and he never opened them after the war ...Then in 1951 my grandparents basement flooded (great Kansas City flood of '51) and i ruined some of the stuff (mostly pictures from a captured german camera) I am trying to restore those photos...But anyway to the helmet ...double decal SS origanal oak camo cover..i played with it as a kid and my mom got mad at me and threw it in the trash!!!!! ...im going to go cry now...lol

3mk
    ?

The Fallschirmjager helmet which I sold to Kris (Stuka F) was used as a bowl which dogs drank out of.
    My Grandfather was a forester after the war (During the war he was in the Polish Home Army)He said that they would find minty helmets in the forest and let the dogs drink out of them throwing out the liner.

WWII collector
    ?

in a viking show i saw once, a viking was using a M16 helmet with horns on both sides.

Hi !
    Great thread!

I found these in a museum in Bastogne last summer:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German helmets used for other reasons.  

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3