Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

German M40 Helmet

Article about: I'm not a helmet guy (I'm more into WWII firearms and documents) but would like to pick up a helmet to have...I really don't want to spend a crazy amount but would like to get an authentic p

Default German M40 Helmet

I'm not a helmet guy (I'm more into WWII firearms and documents) but would like to pick up a helmet to have...I really don't want to spend a crazy amount but would like to get an authentic piece (and i'm totally fine on the condition being somewhat beat up). This helmet came to mind as it's been repainted on the outside but allegedly has the original paint on the inside. The shell is marked NS64. The liner is being represented as original although, as the pics show, has seen better days to say the least!

I'm just looking to know if the shell and liner are original? Might not be bad picking it up for a pretty low price as a project to see if can remove that outer paint.

German M40 HelmetGerman M40 HelmetGerman M40 HelmetGerman M40 HelmetGerman M40 HelmetGerman M40 HelmetGerman M40 HelmetGerman M40 HelmetGerman M40 HelmetGerman M40 Helmet

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German M40 Helmet
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

As you note, it's a fake camo job. Shell is original.

Can't say if the liner is real as there are no photos of it. While I can see edges we need to see the whole thing.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Last pics...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German M40 Helmet   German M40 Helmet  

German M40 Helmet   German M40 Helmet  

German M40 Helmet  

MAP
    ?

Ahhh...ok. See you added the photos.

Liner is original. But unsalvageable. It the helmet wasn't sprayed with a fake camo, the helmet as a whole would have been a very salty original.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I was thinking the same as you...is it that hard to remove that spray while keeping the underlying original paint in tact? Any methods or tricks out there???

MAP
    ?

Quote by mchome25 View Post
    I was thinking the same as you...is it that hard to remove that spray while keeping the underlying original paint in tact? Any methods or tricks out there???
    Depends on the paint and technique used. There are a few guys here who have done it successfully but most attempts end in something less than satisfactory. I've personally never tried it myself.

A shame that another helmet has lost most of its historical value all for the mighty $$. As far as stripping the paint I think you having nothing to lose and if done by a professional you may get a good result. At least better than how it now looks. Here is a link to a past thread and some examples of the results of paint stripping if done well: Black Painted helmet

Andy

Why would you even consider removing the paint , it will never have the patina or look of the an authentic untouched piece. Save yourself the trouble.