Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

german m40 helmet rusted

Article about: i just purchased this m40 helmet. it was dug up from stalingrad in 2006 and has not been cleaned at all. looks like some battle dammage in the back. should i do anything to it? i would like

Question german m40 helmet rusted

i just purchased this m40 helmet. it was dug up from stalingrad in 2006 and has not been cleaned at all. looks like some battle dammage in the back. should i do anything to it? i would like to remove the rust and see what lies beneath.. any sugestions?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture german m40 helmet rusted   german m40 helmet rusted  

german m40 helmet rusted   german m40 helmet rusted  

german m40 helmet rusted   german m40 helmet rusted  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement german m40 helmet rusted
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: german m40 helmet rusted

i doubt you'll find anything under that rust i think its to far gone for that but still a nice relic

?

There is nothing under the rust, is only rust craters
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

so should i leave it the way it is? or should i do anything to preserve it?

Leave it be. Nothing needs to be done. Just enjoy it.

Cheers, Ade.

If you try to remove the rust there won't be anything left of the helmet. It is a nice piece as is.

Ty

I agree with all the other posters. Cleaning this would also do more damage then good when its at this stage.

?

As said already, there will be nothing under the rust. You have two choices: you leave it as it is which is what i would recommend since it seems pretty solid, or you go through a mild restoration. But you should have some basic experience in that otherwise you may have the helmet damaged.
    I usually wash such lids with a product called REMOX (water 10 parts Remox 1 part) for 30 minutes (it's a product based on chloridric acid I believe). Then wash again with sodium bicarbonate to remove acid parts.
    Then, another bath with water and Oxalic acid (also well diluited...1:10) for 30/45 minutes. Then you wash it well with water and let it dry. Remox will stabilize the rust and the oxalic acid will enlighten the remains of colour.
    Zeller

ok thanks. it will stay as is

i paid 30 bucks for it and im having it shipped from latvia. i know it doesnt hold much value but i think value is in the eye of the beholder. it tells an interesting story from the bloodiest battle in history.. thats good enough for me

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast