Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

German Medic Helmet

Article about: Is this one authentic? WWII German DN358 Helmet with Leather Liner and Chin Strap Painted Size 064 | eBay Annoyed from this ads?   Somebody surely must think it is.

Here's a link to an article on the Vet that supposedly brought this back (from the listing)

Seattle D-Day vet recalls helping to take Omaha Beach without a gun | Local News | The Seattle Times

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German Medic Helmet
    P
    Many

?

An intresting read gentlemen if it were a Canadian WW II period Medics helmet I would have some serious reservations.
    Unless there is iron clad providence I never buy the story always buy the item .

Regards Mark

Helmet arrived today. It's 100% authentic including period applied white paint and reddish / brown cross (with a beautiful patina). I have handled enough helmets (real and fake) to say that with confidence.

The liner system is unmolested--perfectly bent pins (no recent scratches) and all washers are present. A couple things not evident in the EBay photos: 1.) the liner is named in pencil to a "Dr. _ _ _-I can't make out the name (might be initials) 2.) think I can see a Heer shaped decal ghosting and 3.) the tip of the chinstrap has some faded white paint.

Does anyone know if Quist made KM m40 helmets? If so, any known examples with a lot number close to this one?

Anyways, more to follow...

Hi mate.M40 Q64 DN358 is a single decal HEER helmet in the lot number book, but as we know that is not a certainty of service branch only a guide. At a quick glance I cannot see any KM helmets in the Q DN M40 list. I am glad it's arrived safely and you are happy with it. Leon.

That is good to heer (pun actually intended)!
    Maybe you can post a few better photos.
    I find that when you buy off of ebay from someone who doesnt know what they have or doesnt generally sell the stuff, the items are usually legit.
    That has been my experience.
    I picked up a D-Loop (US M2) helmet off of ebay from a lady who had no idea what it was.
    Like your helmet the price shot up when people found out about it.
    But it is clearly a legit item.

?

I really do hope that this is as authentic as you believe, but there are few points that worry me, firstly in the description of the veterans exploits, it is stated that he still has a few snapshots, his medals and uniform, no mention of a helmet, which in my opinion would be a talking point when explaining to reporters re his mementos, secondly this phrase that his relation is using "Repainted", I would assume that most younger women have no idea as to how a helmet should look, let alone paint ,camo schemes etc, for all she would know is that the helmet is supposed to look like that, so why use that phrase, unless she knows that possibly her relation painted it after the war as a form of tribute to medics of either side, you must admit this is a possibility, i,m not saying it was painted a few weeks ago, but there is a possibility it was done just post war, which would account for the age effect, also ,would medic helmets be painted with a permanent paint or white wash, as it appears that this helmet has a smooth finish as opposed to the heavier coating of the latter and was at one time a decalled combat helmet

Quote by LaDoraSurf View Post
    Helmet arrived today. It's 100% authentic including period applied white paint and reddish / brown cross (with a beautiful patina). I have handled enough helmets (real and fake) to say that with confidence.

The liner system is unmolested--perfectly bent pins (no recent scratches) and all washers are present. A couple things not evident in the EBay photos: 1.) the liner is named in pencil to a "Dr. _ _ _-I can't make out the name (might be initials) 2.) think I can see a Heer shaped decal ghosting and 3.) the tip of the chinstrap has some faded white paint.

Does anyone know if Quist made KM m40 helmets? If so, any known examples with a lot number close to this one?

Anyways, more to follow...
    Sounds like good news for you then Rob, but where are the pics? I could not find any on the WAF yet either.

I am sharpening my spoon ready for the humble pie if need be.
    Last edited by Jerry B; 11-20-2014 at 04:51 PM.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

German Medic Helmet
    Quote by davejb View Post
    I really do hope that this is as authentic as you believe, but there are few points that worry me, firstly in the description of the veterans exploits, it is stated that he still has a few snapshots, his medals and uniform, no mention of a helmet, which in my opinion would be a talking point when explaining to reporters re his mementos, secondly this phrase that his relation is using "Repainted", I would assume that most younger women have no idea as to how a helmet should look, let alone paint ,camo schemes etc, for all she would know is that the helmet is supposed to look like that, so why use that phrase, unless she knows that possibly her relation painted it after the war as a form of tribute to medics of either side, you must admit this is a possibility, i,m not saying it was painted a few weeks ago, but there is a possibility it was done just post war, which would account for the age effect, also ,would medic helmets be painted with a permanent paint or white wash, as it appears that this helmet has a smooth finish as opposed to the heavier coating of the latter and was at one time a decalled combat helmet
    The helmet was given to a family member many many years ago. The EBay seller was a clearing house--assisting the family,
    which had the helmet in storage--sell the helmet and other things. This type of activity ALWAYS happens. Some of my nicest things came from someone selling items on behalf of family members with WWII items. The seller made the description with little knowledge on the helmet--other than the family's uncle brought it back (and his war history).

Yes, every single non-factory helmet can be questioned when the painting was done. That seems like it narrows your collecting quite a bit. That's why this one is special--many factors point to it being captured in its current state with no post war alteration.

I haven't had time to take photos, and it is raining now. I'll take a few and share the meaning of the inscription later. But, I'm not going to debate its authenticity--as I have zero doubts.

?

To see better photos now it is in your hands would be most interesting as would further info re the inscription etc , just to clarify the Helmet has originaly come from the veteran who is mentioned in the link ?

regards

Paul

?

Quote by LaDoraSurf View Post
    German Medic Helmet

The helmet was given to a family member many many years ago. The EBay seller was a clearing house--assisting the family,
    which had the helmet in storage--sell the helmet and other things. This type of activity ALWAYS happens. Some of my nicest things came from someone selling items on behalf of family members with WWII items. The seller made the description with little knowledge on the helmet--other than the family's uncle brought it back (and his war history).

Yes, every single non-factory helmet can be questioned when the painting was done. That seems like it narrows your collecting quite a bit. That's why this one is special--many factors point to it being captured in its current state with no post war alteration.

I haven't had time to take photos, and it is raining now. I'll take a few and share the meaning of the inscription later. But, I'm not going to debate its authenticity--as I have zero doubts.
    Back to this thread after many days offline and my how its taken an interesting turn.

Hi Rob

I havent commented on the helmet but unless your witholding information, I fail to see wartime provenance at all on the helmet as it was "given to a family member many many years ago". In other words, it could have been painted postwar. Buying from an ebay clearing house doesn't equate to authenticity either nor do sellers not knowing what they have. That said it didnt come from Latvia either so that is a big plus.

These are always difficult as is any white helmet to judge by pics, but I dont blame anyone for not liking the helmet in this thread, as I would not touch it from all the photos posted in this thread including the one you posted. I don't think anyone can be labelled an "expert" on medic helmets, I have seen many blessed by the "so-called experts" over in Red Forum Land that are dubious at best IMO.

In any case it has been an interesting read and better photos would do this helmet a world of justice if it is real as the ones posted really do suck.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast