Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

German Medic Helmet

Article about: Is this one authentic? WWII German DN358 Helmet with Leather Liner and Chin Strap Painted Size 064 | eBay Annoyed from this ads?   Somebody surely must think it is.

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    Why?

It shows up a lot of good points about helmets such as this, which because of a number of variables was not universally liked by all here, though some did like it, many did not. As one of those who did not like it from the original pics and the confusing sellers pics I might wish to see this thread vanish into the ether, but that is not the case and I stand by my original comments based on the pics shown at that time, but I am happy to be wrong and have no problem with that being here.

It illustrates the need for good pics to be shown, which after all is what the opinions are based on, also in this case it seems that some good research has brought rewards. I'd still like to see better pics but for now it appears to have a good chance of being a period done item, though it could have been painted by the Vet after the war but still long enough ago to give it some age and if overpainting an original paint scheme it would look much the same, though I doubt that is the case here.

This thread is a good example of why forum opinions are not the only thing to base decisions on to buy or not and is in its own way a part of the story of this helmet.

I look forward to seeing some better pics but I see no reason to start a new thread.
    This is nothing new, it's all happened here before and Jerry should be commended for his honest thoughts, what was said was said and should not be expunged.

Anyone remember this very similar thread (or in some cases would rather not)?

M/42 single decal SS W/CHICKEN WIRE

Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German Medic Helmet
    P
    Many

"Expunged"? Ok, sorry if I was that unclear... of course, that was NOT what I meant.

Quote by slados28 View Post
    I didn't explain why I felt that? Really? Did I say anything about closing this thread? I only proposed to have another created with good representative photos as an initial proper introduction to this helmet as I simply think it deserves it --- I can't really see how you didn't make that out from my comment.

This thread would still be here, open for discussion and serve as a reminder to not always take forum opinions as the end all be all.
    I still fail to see why that is needed, Rob can post the new pics here in this thread, it is a thread on this helmet after all. One thread on a helmet is surely enough.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Rob can probably do whatever he wants... incl. creating a thread of his own showing off representative "in hand" photos of this helmet. I have seen lots of that happening on here... making up a proper "show off" thread after an initial review thread... no? I wasn't aware that creating a proper and tidy thread by the owner was not allowed if an "up for review" thread created by someone else with poor ebay photos was already present. I can't see the harm, unless you want to argue bandwidth issues, in that case I can think of a lot of poor fake threads that should never have been allowed in the first place.

?

Quote by big ned View Post
    This is nothing new, it's all happened here before and Jerry should be commended for his honest thoughts, what was said was said and should not be expunged.

Anyone remember this very similar thread (or in some cases would rather not)?

M/42 single decal SS W/CHICKEN WIRE

Ned.
    I remember that one. I spoke with the owner and struck a deal to buy it but he wanted to meet me in a Walmart parking lot where he lived, about a 4 day drive from where I live and across an international border. Wasn't going to happen so I waved goodbye to it and a dealer bought it and had or perhaps still has it for sale for an astronomical price several times more than what he probably paid and far more than what I felt it was worth.

Forum opinion is not the be all end all. In hand combined with experience is the be all end all.

But we can all learn on forums and differing viewpoints are good to see as long as they make some sense and have some facts behind them.

?

Doesn't matter on the thread having a new one or not. Both you guys have valid points but lets not ruin this thread over it.

Good thread on a camo blessed by many which was proven to be fake pinned on GHW2. By proven, not forum opinion but by fact of where it came from and who painted it.

I think everyone needs to remember forums are simply matters of opinion, and everyone offering an opinion should be prepared to be wrong sometimes. Threads like these are good wakeup calls IMO.

?

Certainly the new photos by Rob are far superior to the original ones from which i made my thoughts first known and i agree that they give the helmet a good chance and put forward more positives to it being original , it has been said many times that the photos are critical to an assessment.

I am a collector of White Camo helmets and have seen many both good and bad , some of which i have posted on here and other forums and this is clearly one where an in hand inspection by an experienced collector and photos in the correct lighting are vital , as Doug has said this leads to the originality of the Helmet taking on a more positive look.

I can only commend Rob for his tenacity in following up the story in this case and for uncovering evidence could fit in with the inscription etc and can only hope that contact with the veteran who it has allegedly come from confirms the circumstances of the recovery and where exactly from and whether it was painted like this when it was recovered , that would certainly be the icing on the cake. If it has come from Brest as the research suggests it may have then to find a White Camo helmet from such a location would make it a very rare piece indeed and will have been a very good call by Rob !

regards

Paul

Quote by Paul D View Post
    If it has come from Brest as the research suggests it may have then to find a White Camo helmet from such a location would make it a very rare piece indeed and will have been a very good call by Rob !

regards

Paul
    I guess I wouldn't consider the white paint a camo. I'd imagine medics wanted to make their presence known...red on grey isn't that impactful...so the entire helmet was painted white. Just not for winter camo purposes. Again, I envision the soldier being an officer over hospital affairs...no real need for "camo".

I can't tell what paint came first...probably medical tape was used to create a cross...helmet was painted white...paint dries, remove tape and carefully paint the void red.

?

A great thread here. Lots to learn in the Helmet World.

?

Quote by LaDoraSurf View Post
    I guess I wouldn't consider the white paint a camo. I'd imagine medics wanted to make their presence known...red on grey isn't that impactful...so the entire helmet was painted white. Just not for winter camo purposes. Again, I envision the soldier being an officer over hospital affairs...no real need for "camo".

I can't tell what paint came first...probably medical tape was used to create a cross...helmet was painted white...paint dries, remove tape and carefully paint the void red.
    Interesting slant on the camo Rob although i'm not sure an all over White Camo would have been a good thing in the countryside of Western France it would make you very much stand out as a target in the bocage etc , red cross or not and i'm not sure any Artz or Sani would have gone for that !!

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast