Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

German Medic Helmet

Article about: Is this one authentic? WWII German DN358 Helmet with Leather Liner and Chin Strap Painted Size 064 | eBay Annoyed from this ads?   Somebody surely must think it is.

Quote by Paul D View Post
    Interesting slant on the camo Rob although i'm not sure an all over White Camo would have been a good thing in the countryside of Western France it would make you very much stand out as a target in the bocage etc , red cross or not and i'm not sure any Artz or Sani would have gone for that !!
    Again, I don't think this belonged to a field medic--running wild in the French countryside. Probably a surgeon or hospital admin--so, I think of is as more of a civilian helmet.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German Medic Helmet
    P
    Many

?

Quote by LaDoraSurf View Post
    Again, I don't think this belonged to a field medic--running wild in the French countryside. Probably a surgeon or hospital admin--so, I think of is as more of a civilian helmet.
    Glad to be back I agree reminds of occupational forces as you stated Brest (Ost-bunker), La Havre the Channel Isles, congrats.

Regards
    Eric

?

Quote by Unterstand View Post
    Glad to be back I agree reminds of occupational forces as you stated Brest (Ost-bunker), La Havre the Channel Isles, congrats.

Regards
    Eric
    Eric you have mentioned this a few times can you expalin exactly what helmets you are talking about ? Have you any photos of them /

regards

Paul

?

Hello Paul
    re: photos apart from the ones in general domain they aren't mine but sent from colleagues. Neither are examples of that type if I was the owner I would try and get in touch with the Gent who is a member here, other you're going back decades when folks didn't carry around a camera.
    The inscription pricked a thought from the old thread on the Axis forum, to tell the truth I was hoping the helmet would slip under the radar but I can't afford those prices nowadays, I'm old lol!
    Sorry Paul for me the front line examples you Gents love so much are more often than not a different animal imo apart I hope the new owner is happy myself I would also try to go and see the Vet personally.

Regards
    Eric

Hi mate, any update from your research and letter to the vet? Leon.

?

Looks like an answer is not going to be forthcoming !
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Quote by Paul D View Post
    Looks like an answer is not going to be forthcoming !
    Hi Paul, I know the owner of this one is primarily a member on a different forum, but as we all spent so much time debating this one here I thought he would have liked to keep us up to date. There are some very strong arguments to support this one being good but if the vets letter of reply is not forthcoming, it does make you wonder? It has been a few months now. Leon.

?

Rob is pretty good at assessing helmets but I hope the vet story is not a story.

Inscription on the helmet reads: "Med Off 2dLT Ostbunker Naval Academy Captured 9/44"

This helmet was taken as a souvenir by 2nd Lt Giese from a pile of helmets left by German POWs after the defeat of Brest.

The "Med Off 2dLT" obviously refers to Lt. Giese. The "Ostbunker Naval Academy" lines up will with my early commentary regarding it being a converted medical ward in Brest. Giese was a medical officer in the 29th ID with led the assault on Brest--makes sense he would have been drawn to a medic helmet (given he was a medical officer himself). Lt. Giese is still alive and confirmed this over the phone and in writing.

That's all I have.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German Medic Helmet  

Hi Rob, thanks for the update. That is a great provenance that fairly and squarely puts this one to bed. A superb period Medics helmet, that surely will be impossible to upgrade. A fantastic history to it, you are a privileged man to own this fine piece. Well done, and enjoy it for many years to come! Leon.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast