MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

German Medics Helmet continued

Article about: by gel65 Sorry, I never had a chance to speak with him right now I have been very bogged down with school work and sports. Doug's offer is generous but at the moment I do not have the time t

I know it has been said, but for a medic painted German helmet (extremely rare/desirable) higher quality images (even if just in better light) are going to be needed for any serious collector to go 'out on a limb' and give you their opinion. You're 16, this helmet (if good) could be the find of your lifetime, so new photos are worth getting.

Are you thinking of buying this or have you already purchased it? Might I ask if there is an asking price?

I'm not yet ready to dismiss this one based on these photos - I think this helmet (unlike 99% of medic painted helmets) is worth taking a closer look at.

Best of luck with it,
    Josh

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German Medics Helmet continued
    P
    Many

After reading all the post, something has always stood out to me. WHY do only the camo's seem to have SO MUCH PAINT LOSE IN JUST THE RIGHT PLACES, one example the top . I am not saying the helmet is not a true medic helmet I do not have a dog in the race when it comes to camo's. but it just strikes me funny that more standard helmets do not have to same paint lose patterns constantly. I know different paint factory vs field. Just a thought. Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Probably because the standard helmets are Real...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

No relating to the helmet but a large majority of the time when te helmets were taken off they we're sat on the top not always but a lot from what I have seen

Remember, field applied paint is very different from factory applied, over clean metal, sprayed, likely urethane enamel, baked finish. The field stuff is household or utility grade linseed oil based stuff going over dirty used equipment. It is like frosting on a cake, not all areas will adhere evenly or well, the thicker the layer the less likely it is to bond well. My hunch line sup with this one being done up. Helmets are not typically stored upside down int he field, you'd get all manner of crap in it and it goes on your head! Nobody wants that. They are usually placed with the bottom down or hung somewhere or set on top of packs etc bottom down. Ask any current squaddie how he handles his helmet.

One god test method is to scrape away a discrete area of the paint, with a sharp point, if it is period applied and legit, (and chances are it isn't), but the scraped area should be fresh and bright. If it is dirty all the way through then the paint was mixed dirty so to deceive with a superficial patina.

Quote by asterperious View Post

One good test method is to scrape away a discrete area of the paint, with a sharp point, if it is period applied and legit, (and chances are it isn't), but the scraped area should be fresh and bright. If it is dirty all the way through then the paint was mixed dirty so to deceive with a superficial patina.
    Sounds like a good idea but (a) the owner will need to be willing to desecrate their own helmet and (b) take the necessary high quality photos. Neither of which seems likely I expect.

?

Sorry, I high a job, school, and sports programs which limit my time greatly the only time I have to take pictures is the weekend. I am willing to take away some of the material because I am certain the paint with be fresh underneath.

?

Gel - You sure are willing to go to a lot of trouble to "prove" to the people here that this lid is real. Like others have said in the this very long thread - "If you think its real and are good with it - so be it man." If you do this to your own lid - you are proving nothing to anyone who would buy it from you in the future. if you really want to prove something to yourself and are willing to do this type of thing to prove it, send the lid to Bill Shea or one of the experts on here for review (as some have offered), get your fancy piece of paper proving it, and you can rest easy.....

Food for thought young buck...

Or a second and very attractive option is Also available to you-to Accept DougB's very Generous offer in Post #39 to Pay for the postage Both ways to have you ship the helmet to him for his personal assessment in hand. Why would a person not want to go this route? It would provide definitive proof of either genuine or not by one of the World's top helmet experts and would not cost you a cent. How can you lose??
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    How can you lose??
    Maybe it's the fear of being proven wrong. Or the fear of reality. Or a hundred other things.

Gel, are you willing to drop the cash on this controversial helmet but hesitant to spend zip to have it sent to Doug? I would send it in a heartbeat. It's a no brainer.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast