Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

German Steel

Article about: Hi all, up for display is my German m-35 steel helmet. It is a size 68. This helmet came from an estate sale and was found in a garage with a birds nest made inside of the liner. Despite thi

?

That looks like a nice factory SD with a high lot number, textured paint, and what appears to be a factory NS decal. It also has the reinforced aluminum liner band with rounded bales, probably zinc (transitional M35-M40 period).
    In my lot number list I have a nearly identical helmet, but with M40 embossed vent holes.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German Steel
    P
    Many

?

I really like this one, Thaddeus . When I read the part about there being a birds nest inside, I was expecting something much worse! But the liner is in great shape. The dent isn't that noticable. Maybe you can get it bent back by a pro .

I've seen motorcycle customizers bend sheet metal by laying a sand bag under the metal and using a hard rubber mallet .That seems kind of sketchy though. You could also make a wood form, a piece on top and bottom ( just for the brim, not the whole lid) and put it in a vice , slowly tightening it until the metal fits the form. This is all just an idea I would ponder if this were mine, but most likely I would leave it as is.

When I saw the chin strap , I thought it might be cut off due to getting wounded or even a "corpse-cut", meaning it was cut off of a dead soldier. I have one of these corpse-cut's and you can tell because the tip of one side of the strap was still in the buckle side. Plus, there was pooled blood and blood soaked and shrunken liner.

Sorry for writing a novel, but I thought this might give you a few ideas.
    Dean
    Last edited by Dean; 09-01-2013 at 08:06 PM.

?

Here's an example of my corpse-cut Lufty M40 Q62 SD with EXTREMELY severe blood damage to the liner and rust where the blood dripped and pooled in the dome.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German Steel   German Steel  

German Steel  

Quote by Brian View Post
    That looks like a nice factory SD with a high lot number, textured paint, and what appears to be a factory NS decal. It also has the reinforced aluminum liner band with rounded bales, probably zinc (transitional M35-M40 period).
    In my lot number list I have a nearly identical helmet, but with M40 embossed vent holes.
    You could be right on the factory SD there Brian. I have had a couple of SE M35's that were factory singles, and seen many others. Not seen an NS before though but I'm sure they existed.

Quote by Dean View Post
    I really like this one, Thaddeus . When I read the part about there being a birds nest inside, I was expecting something much worse! But the liner is in great shape. The dent isn't that noticable. Maybe you can get it bent back by a pro .

I've seen motorcycle customizers bend sheet metal by laying a sand bag under the metal and using a hard rubber hammer or using a brass hammer putting a thick cloth over the metal so it won't harm the Surface.That seems kind of sketchy though. You could also make a wood form, a piece on top and bottom ( just for the brim, not the whole lid) and put it in a vice , sloly tightening it until the metal fits the form. This is all just an idea I would ponder if this were mine, but most likely I would leave it as is.

When I saw the chin strap , I thought it might be cut off due to getting wounded or even a "corpse-cut", meaning it was cut off of a dead soldier. I have one of these corpse-cut's and you can tell because the tip of one side of the strap was still in the buckle side. Plus, there was pooled blood and blood soaked and shrunken liner.

Sorry for writing a novel, but I thought this might give you a few ideas.
    Dean
    Dean thank you for giving me that information. It might very well be a corpse cut, as the tip of the strap is still in the buckle. I will put up another picture soon. I have a Luftshutz helmet I will put up later that I believe is also one of these helmets. The liner is in really bad shape and it appears that there is blood throughout what remains. Very ominous! Thanks!

Default more pictures of the chin strap

Clean cutsGerman SteelGerman Steel

Quote by Brian View Post
    Brian,
    Do you have any pictures of your m-40 helmet? I would like to see the similarities!
    Thaddeus

?

Thaddeus, I do not own the helmet. I only have it on my lot number list.

M35 NS68 6222 SD HEER RAB-ZBALES RTGG NS-DECAL
    M35 NS68 6222 BEAD SDLS
    M40 NS68 6222 SD HEER RAB-RALB, (ZBALES)

Brian,
    I am not familiar with lot numbers. What does this mean?
    Thaddeus

?

Thaddeus, lot numbers are production numbers found on the inside rear of most German combat helmets. I gathered about 12,000 of them and put them into a book to chart decal drops and manufacturing patterns.
    the book is available on Ebay in pdf. form:

Ebay item # 321197410985

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast