Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

German transitional helmet

Article about: Hello Gents, I came across a decent looking German transitional helmet with both Heer and tri-color shield decal mostly still intact. Not sure about the liner but it’s reasonable priced if t

Agree with what David and Map have said - looks like a coat of lacquer to me too. You can see the difference between the shiny outer shell and the dullness of the inner skirt. Really depends on what you’re after athomas - it’s still a nice helmet but if you want an untouched helmet with the potential to sell later if required then an untouched helmet would be a better proposition and will be easier to sell at a higher price than one that’s been altered.

Re: the second helmet. Always best to post the actual images if possible rather than the links as links often die resulting in a thread with references to non-existent helmet photos.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German transitional helmet
    P
    Many

I gotcha Andy. Here is the pictures of the ones from the link. I’m thinking it’s an overall cleaner piece even though it’s not a double decal one I wanted. And the price is reasonable on it too.

Thoughts?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German transitional helmet   German transitional helmet  

German transitional helmet   German transitional helmet  

German transitional helmet   German transitional helmet  

The decal appears to be an "Ed Strache". Always seen on re-paints, re-issues & Trans. models. They are also found in unapplied form in abundance. Many collectors will shy away from a helmet with this decal because of a possibility it has been post war applied. Sometimes can be a challenge determining just that.
    D.

Thanks for posting the images athomas. Looks like nice helmet and the shell looks much better without lacquer. Unfortunately I don’t have the expertise to comment on the decals as yet. David has years of experience and raises a very valid point.

DD transitionals do turn up often in varying grades of condition. There is a nice one right now on German Helemts inc. All depends on your area of interest and budget really but best to wait it out and get something that you are truly happy with, won’t question and can be a future investment if desired.

Also appears a badge of sort was mounted on the front of the helmet, then removed & filled in the two holes. An interesting item
    D.

The seller: and owner of an antique shop in Settle WA claimed the helmet was recently removed from the vets home who brought it back from the war. He stated it was stored away under the stairs from some time and was purchased along with many other items he brought back. It’s decent looking but I just can’t seem to decide on it. Especially since the decal could be post war applied ��

MAP
    ?

Quote by athomas View Post
    The seller: and owner of an antique shop in Settle WA claimed the helmet was recently removed from the vets home who brought it back from the war. He stated it was stored away under the stairs from some time and was purchased along with many other items he brought back. It’s decent looking but I just can’t seem to decide on it. Especially since the decal could be post war applied ��
    Buy the helmet, not the story. Not saying the story is fake, but it's all about the helmet, unless there is strong provenance or you or someone you trust was there when it was found.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I totally agree Map. Everyone “claims” that their item was from a vets home. I appreciate everyone who took time to respond to this thread. Always love learning about this intriguing hobby.

I quite like this Strache decalled one (the 2nd helmet).
    I think the decal carries a little undeservedly a reputation that has been magnified by the internet.
    And I as well took its reputation for granted years ago.
    I have come to look at them differently. It is a reissue decal so it would be found on a helmet like this tranny.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2