Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Germany Helmets identification needed

Article about: Hello I just purchased a few german helmets and i would like to know what type of helmet they are. What photos of the helmets do i need to provide for identification? I have seen numbers at

Default Germany Helmets identification needed

Hello
    I just purchased a few german helmets and i would like to know what type of helmet they are.
    What photos of the helmets do i need to provide for identification?
    I have seen numbers at the back, inside of helmet, as well as on inside, side of helmets. Will these numbers help with identification?
    Are there numbers or symbols likely to be found anywhere else on the helmet to help with it identification?
    Also found stamped on leather chin strap end "bia 1944"
    3 of the helmets have had some restoration (if you can call it restoration - more likely botch job) work attempted on them. I personally think this has ruined them. Should i attempt to remove the work done to them or just leave them.
    [will post pictures as soon as i know what angles etc to take off helmets.]
    Thanks in advance

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Germany Helmets identification needed
    P
    Many

It all comes down to the air vents and edge of the helmet , if the air vents are made separate the helmet is a m35 ,if part of the helmet when made its a m40 and if the helmet has a raw edge its a m42 , but photos would be a big help

MAP
    ?

Front, side, top, rear and inside including photos of the maker Mark and lot number. If decals, clear straight on photos taking up pretty much the whole picture.

Quality photos in indirect daylight are best.

Here is a quick study guide of German Helmets

German helmet identification for new helmet collectors!!!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Default photos of helmets

Here are the photos of the helmets
    4th & 5th helmets have been badly restored by previous owner, he said they had holes in them so he filled them in
    Let me know your thoughts about them.

sorry photos turned themselves upside down after i downloaded them to my computer....bugger.

first Helmet possibly (m42 - i think)

Germany Helmets identification neededGermany Helmets identification neededGermany Helmets identification neededGermany Helmets identification neededGermany Helmets identification neededGermany Helmets identification neededGermany Helmets identification needed

2nd Helmet (may have been repainted or touched up on the outside as there is a paint run

Germany Helmets identification neededGermany Helmets identification neededGermany Helmets identification neededGermany Helmets identification neededGermany Helmets identification neededGermany Helmets identification neededGermany Helmets identification needed

3rd Helmet

Germany Helmets identification neededGermany Helmets identification neededGermany Helmets identification neededGermany Helmets identification neededGermany Helmets identification neededGermany Helmets identification needed

4th Helmet

Germany Helmets identification neededGermany Helmets identification neededGermany Helmets identification neededGermany Helmets identification needed

5th Helmet

Germany Helmets identification neededGermany Helmets identification needed

The decal on the first helmet is a reproduction. The liners on the first 2 are fake. The others are just shells and some have been repainted. Over all, there is very little collector value in any of these. They are solid shells that are fine to be reworked, say for reenactors. Jim G.

MAP
    ?

First helmet has a fake decal and liner. I would guess the paint is bad as well. It is an M40

Second helmet has a fake liner and as you note, is repainted as well. The red rust popping through is a dead giveaway. It to is an M40

Third helmet is a WW1 M17 (could be an M16 but the scratches appear to be from the 17's metal liner band vs the 16's leather band) and except for what appears to be spilled varnish, looks to have original paint. But it is just a shell. Also, the condition of the inside dome does not match the other wear and the scratches look new. I'm looking from a cell phone, so will let others on a PC opine.

The last two are junk. Wish I could say something nicer but can't.

All in all heavily bastardized. Sorry.

Edit: I take too long or type too much....Jim beat me to it...lol
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

oh well you win some you lose some, Paid good money for the first two going on the guys word that they were orginals and not reproductions. Hes got my cash so not worth trying to get it back. i bought all his gear he had it was a gamble specially when i didnt know enough.

Scratches on the 3rd helmet are from where the helmets were stacked on top of one another.

Hi, sorry here these cost you good money, but at least you know what to look out for now. They are as said, sadly all heavily messed with shells, but I'm sure re-enactors would buy them from you in the future, just not a collector. Leon.