Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Is this a good Heer helmet?

Article about: Hello, I got this German helmet offerd to buy. Supposed to be a m40 heer helmet. I only got these 3 pics. So got no neck number etc. yet. Can anybody see at first glance if it's worth my tra

?

Quote by Danmark View Post
    A nice M35 reissue
    Exactly what I thought as well. I wonder why OP says it's supposed to be a M40.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Is this a good Heer helmet?
    P
    Many

Default *Update*

So as promissed; the update on the helmet.
    I got a few clearer pics on what seems to be a m35 Quist single decal Heer helmet. Stamped Q62 and 4780.

Is this a good Heer helmet?Is this a good Heer helmet?Is this a good Heer helmet?

Is this a good Heer helmet?Is this a good Heer helmet?Is this a good Heer helmet?

i really like it, it has got the Quist math tone paint, the inner liner seems tb be very tight and snugg fitting in the dome. No traces of any decal seems to be on the right side. It also appears it hasn't been dusted of for years also a plus for me...

?

Nice one! Looks like someone wrote SS at the front :P

Also do you think it's a reissue? Given that the texture seems to be up to m40 specifications.

Thanks Reich! The SS at the front could also be a sloppy 55

I'm dying to find out wether it is a reissue or not... How should i be able to find out if it is reissue or not, I find asking myself...

?

Quote by Kaliber View Post
    Thanks Reich! The SS at the front could also be a sloppy 55

I'm dying to find out wether it is a reissue or not... How should i be able to find out if it is reissue or not, I find asking myself...
    How is the inner rim texture? Is it the same as the outside shell?

Is there a dome stamp? Is the dome's texture and color same as the inner rim?

Is there any paint on the liner?

There are many factors of course, these are just a couple of hints. The fact that there is no trace of a second decal on a M35 does make me think of a so called "factory reissue", but then again, I am no expert.

Quote by Reich View Post
    How is the inner rim texture? Is it the same as the outside shell?

Is there a dome stamp? Is the dome's texture and color same as the inner rim?

Is there any paint on the liner?

There are many factors of course, these are just a couple of hints. The fact that there is no trace of a second decal on a M35 does make me think of a so called "factory reissue", but then again, I am no expert.
    The inner rim texture seems the same as the outside.
    However I cant find a dome stamp. But I don't really want to disturb the leather liner so I cant see all of the dome.
    I can see that the rivets are tightly in place and have their round lockplates on the backside.
    The texture on the inside of the dome seems much more smooth than the outside, but it has the same patina/color.
    There seems to be no paint or any other stains on the liner parts.

I do guess it is a reissue due to a lack of the other decal. I dont know about the zinc liner. I believe that was much later then the m35. Or is it a late produced m35 helmet?... am no expert eihter helmets. I do know for a fact that I like it

I'm not an expert either, hopefully Schwerpunkt will leave a comment on this one at some point.

Even if determined it has M40 style paint, I'm reluctant to concede it would be a factory reissue. Perhaps it was late M35 stock that received the M40 paint. I maintain this hunch as it is my understanding that this decal would not be found on a reissue. Unless someone knows of exceptions that is. There are examples of transitory M35's that received the textured M40 paint.

Can you see any date stamps on the inside of the liner bands, between the liner band and the helmet (usually on the sides near the bales)? You'd have to gently pry or slide it to the side to see down in there with a flashlight. Don't risk damaging the bands or the split pins if you think it's too risky though. Those can be a bit fragile.

Thank you Avenger!

Because of the decal i am thrown off as well...
    I also understoud that the bigfoot eagle was not applied on the reissued helmets.
    The liner band is so thight up to the dome that i dont wan't to risk "re-shaping" the band. So I can't see any markings.
    Also there is a knot, to tie the liner together, so i can't examine underneath the pigsleather.
    I only got this helmet a few ours. I really don't want to be the first to dig in with my big fat hands...

For my two cents, I think it's probably a transitionary M35, that may have had a liner replacement at some point. The liner is a bit later than I would expect, though it looks original to my eyes. However, it's at this point of detail my confidence starts to wane. I'm not sure if the liner would be a point of contention or not. Knowing what the liner band stamps say would tell us if the liner band sizes matches the helmet shell and the leather liner (stamped 55 on yours), and would give us a date which my gut would expect to be 1940. But, again, I'm only moderately confident as the liner is concerned, and if you think you could damage the bands it's not worth prying at them to find out.

In any case, it looks like a nice Quist which is a desirable maker. They produced my favorite decals in that sharp, clean look, and this helmet has one in good shape still.

For me this is a textbook Q M35 reissue with BF decal. Judging by the chalk 55 (liner size) on the front that is still visible, along with the condition of the liner, it was most probably liberated from a depot or saw very little action. The lighter green paint on the liner pin heads is also typical on Q helmets in my experience.

Nice helmet, thanks for sharing

Chris

PS I would leave the linerband alone if it were mine

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast