Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Is this a good Heer helmet?

Article about: Hello, I got this German helmet offerd to buy. Supposed to be a m40 heer helmet. I only got these 3 pics. So got no neck number etc. yet. Can anybody see at first glance if it's worth my tra

I wouldn't mind if it's transitional.
    I like the "a bit off" stuff...

About the liner, it really looks like it has been in there for ages, and since i spoak the previous owner, a sweet lady, I know this helmet has been put away for many years by her father, I bought this along with a m1915 ww1 French adrian helmet, Candian ww2 brody helmet and a dutch 1940's helmet, all in ok condition and with original liners. So I'm quite confident that the liner is ww2 period inserted, only what date.... I'm not gonna pry, I looked between the leather band and the zinc band, nothing there... I'm not gonna pry between the band and the helmet. I dont want to disturb anything.

Avanger, thanks for the input! appreciate it!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Is this a good Heer helmet?
    P
    Many

Quote by radidas View Post
    For me this is a textbook Q M35 reissue with BF decal. Judging by the chalk 55 (liner size) on the front that is still visible, along with the condition of the liner, it was most probably liberated from a depot or saw very little action. The lighter green paint on the liner pin heads is also typical on Q helmets in my experience.

Nice helmet, thanks for sharing

Chris

PS I would leave the linerband alone if it were mine
    Chris, have you seen Q reissues with the bigfoot decal on them? I'm fine with being wrong on this one, as it would make more sense in the context of the helmet as a whole if it were reissue. But, the information I have on that decal is that it was not used on reissues. I certainly don't claim to be an expert though, and am quite interested in getting to the bottom of this one more than just "being right", and appreciate any information anyone can provide to the contrary to my understanding.

Quote by Kaliber View Post
    I wouldn't mind if it's transitional.
    I like the "a bit off" stuff...

About the liner, it really looks like it has been in there for ages, and since i spoak the previous owner, a sweet lady, I know this helmet has been put away for many years by her father, I bought this along with a m1915 ww1 French adrian helmet, Candian ww2 brody helmet and a dutch 1940's helmet, all in ok condition and with original liners. So I'm quite confident that the liner is ww2 period inserted, only what date.... I'm not gonna pry, I looked between the leather band and the zinc band, nothing there... I'm not gonna pry between the band and the helmet. I dont want to disturb anything.

Avanger, thanks for the input! appreciate it!
    Then it's best to leave the liner alone and enjoy it. As the decal/reissue thing goes, hopefully one of the experts will chime in and clarify that for us. Either way, you have a nice helmet there.

Quote by radidas View Post
    For me this is a textbook Q M35 reissue with BF decal. Judging by the chalk 55 (liner size) on the front that is still visible, along with the condition of the liner, it was most probably liberated from a depot or saw very little action. The lighter green paint on the liner pin heads is also typical on Q helmets in my experience.

Nice helmet, thanks for sharing

Chris

PS I would leave the linerband alone if it were mine

Thanks Radidas! So you say that the bigfoot decals were placed on reissued m35 helmets?

Yes I have seen BF decals on M35 reissues. No problem there in my opinion.

There is a good thread about the BF decal here:
    bigfoot decals

Chris

Hello no problem with this helmet carrying a BF decal , I would consider this helmet a factory re-issue.
    So made to M40 standards.
    Nice helmet.

Thanks Radidas! So you say that the bigfoot decals were placed on reissued m35 helmets?
    From the above posted link, here's what Schwerpunkt/Frank had to say on the subject (below). The way I see it you have absolutely nothing to worry about given the info from this expert collector, coupled with others chiming in. All this coupled with the cohesive look of the helmet in general, of course.

Too bad it's missing its chinstrap but, IMO, a very nice looking and untouched reissue either way!

Quote by Schwerpunkt
    It's an exclusive Quist decal but Quist also used another Heer decal type (on the M40).
    They used the BF on the M35 and M40. (as you probably know Quist made M40's till the end of the war , the M42 is almost unseen and has no decal).
    The decal type doesn't affect the value of the helmet and they are not particularly rare either.

Why were they made like that ? Decals were made by different firms so that explains the graphical differences.

As always exceptions can turn up especially on reissued M35's.

Thanks Frank for settling things! I stand corrected then! Reissue it is.

A lovely example of one of my favorite decals.

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    Hello no problem with this helmet carrying a BF decal , I would consider this helmet a factory re-issue.
    So made to M40 standards.
    Nice helmet.
    What I said in post #7.........!!!!
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Everybody lot's of thanks fot all the info! I learned a lot!
    So it will be an untouched Heer M35 Quist SD bigfoot reissue helmet!
    I'm proud to have such a nice helmet in my collection!

Thanks guys!

I'm proud to have such a nice helmet in my collection!
    And that's what counts the most.

And, we learned something new. It's a good day.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast