Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

grave marker helmets

Article about: anyone know if the helmets which marked graves where just left there to rust after the units which burried the soldier left.?back in germany as u know many wore french and russian helmets wi

Default grave marker helmets

anyone know if the helmets which marked graves where just left there to rust after the units which burried the soldier left.?back in germany as u know many wore french and russian helmets with a nazi emblem,so german helmets where scarce

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement grave marker helmets
    P
    Many

Default Re: grave marker helmets

Some were certainly left in place to later get taken as souvenirs by Allied troops. I have seen a couple of souvenired ones, evidenced by holes in the crown where they were once secured to the grave marker.

Cheers, Ade.

?

As Ade knows, the British Para helmets from Arnhem field graves remained until the bodies were reinterred in the Airborne Cemetery at Oosterbeek.

I gather the Dutch left them be until they were officially given their final resting place ...

Only then were some were saved by the locals.

Gary J.

interesting they where nailed to the grave marker ,.i would have thought with the shortages the germans exsperienced ,everything would have been put into service again.thanks for insight adrian.

gary bi had a m40 from arnhem and it was said it was found where german field graves had been.it had a big crack in the crown ,was it battledamage ,or a soldier crudley nailing it to the marker.?its given me another way of looking at that particular damage.

Marking graves with helmets was done a lot early in the war. But I think the practise declined as the war progressed? Recycling of helmets may have been a factor here.

Cheers, Ade.

I don't think there was ever a shortage of helmets.

Here's one I just received which could have sat on top of grave.

?

Hello Guys,
    Got this helmet from Ebay, the guy that sold it to me says that he got several ground dug helmets several yrs ago from Europe. I believe is the real deal and a possible "grave marker" it has a diamond shape hole on dome.Opinions welcome (sorry for the poor quality pics is night time here)
    thanks,
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture grave marker helmets   grave marker helmets  

grave marker helmets   grave marker helmets  

Last edited by Luis22; 03-04-2010 at 02:18 AM.

CMc
    ?

As you say, that perfect diamond shape could be an indication of a nail being driven through it. Sad to think it would've once sat above the final resting place of its wearer.

Hi, looking at the top of this helmet, i would agree that this helmet was indeed a grave marker, the nail used would more than likely been a horse shoe nail, as thare would have been plentyful supply at hand, look at the head on the first nail.....

This army has an indomitable spirit and it is determined to vanquish all enemies and never to yield. No matter what the difficulties and hardships, so long as a single man remains, he will fight on.
    Attached Images Attached Images grave marker helmets  grave marker helmets 

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast