Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

grave marker helmets

Article about: anyone know if the helmets which marked graves where just left there to rust after the units which burried the soldier left.?back in germany as u know many wore french and russian helmets wi

Default Re: grave marker helmets

Thats a lovely snow camo helmet and it certainly looks like it was a grave marker helmet ,its oozing history.I MUST LOOK CLOSELY AT MY 30 RELICS TO SEE IF THERE IS A HOLE IN THE CROWN IN AN YOF THEM LIKE THAT.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement grave marker helmets
    P
    Many

?

Yes I got lucky with this relic...the only reason why I bought it was the pin hole on the crown...a few days before I read the comments on this thread...thats why this site is so important to collectors

After studying the helmet under day light I realized that the area surrounding the nail hole on the inside has wood attached which confirms my suspicions..I will post better close up pictures this weekend...fascinating!!
    Last edited by Luis22; 03-05-2010 at 04:00 AM.

?

On the back side of the helmet surrounding th nail hole there is some type of fossil wood attached
    I believe the helmet is a M35 Q66 is heavy and outside circumference is 68 cm,,
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture grave marker helmets  

?

Horse shoe nails are too soft to poke holes in helmets.

Quote by darrenj40 View Post
    Hi, looking at the top of this helmet, i would agree that this helmet was indeed a grave marker, the nail used would more than likely been a horse shoe nail, as thare would have been plentyful supply at hand, look at the head on the first nail.....

This army has an indomitable spirit and it is determined to vanquish all enemies and never to yield. No matter what the difficulties and hardships, so long as a single man remains, he will fight on.

looks like just hole from rust.

The evidence suggest it is a grave marker helmet,with the bits of wood and the shape of hole.......

?

Quote by ostlanddigger View Post
    looks like just hole from rust.
    This can not be from rust is a perfect diamond shape also perfectly centered...I have plenty of relics with holes from rust but not this one,,,
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture grave marker helmets  

?

A big chunk of wood attached to the sorrounding area...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture grave marker helmets   grave marker helmets  

grave marker helmets  
    Last edited by Luis22; 03-07-2010 at 11:35 PM.

There is a great photo of a german helmet on top of a wooden cross in the issue 28 /1998 of the armorour mag.apparently a guy about 15 years ago had buisness in a remote area of russia and came across these helmets from the ww2 era.i have the front cover only now and the pic is in colour and large and clear.the m35 has a lot of battle damage and over the years rusted into relic condition.the cross has a square wodden board still on it with the soldiers details.a facinating pic and story well worth trying to find a back copy of this mag if u havnt seen it.im sorry i have to rely on others to put pics on and it will take me time to organise this.

?

Quote by LAS VEGAS View Post
    There is a great photo of a german helmet on top of a wooden cross in the issue 28 /1998 of the armorour mag.apparently a guy about 15 years ago had buisness in a remote area of russia and came across these helmets from the ww2 era.i have the front cover only now and the pic is in colour and large and clear.the m35 has a lot of battle damage and over the years rusted into relic condition.the cross has a square wodden board still on it with the soldiers details.a facinating pic and story well worth trying to find a back copy of this mag if u havnt seen it.im sorry i have to rely on others to put pics on and it will take me time to organise this.
    Thanks for the info sounds really interesting!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast