Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Green M40 ET66

Article about: Hey friends, sorry to start this discussion, I just never seen or heard about beaded helmets before (Im a newbie), so I didnt really pay attention, but now that I know there is no doubt that

Default Re: Green M40 ET66

Hey friends,

sorry to start this discussion, I just never seen or heard about beaded helmets before (Im a newbie), so I didnt really pay attention, but now that I know there is no doubt that the helmet is beaded (although a shallow one as Dan already mentioned. I've tried to take some better pics.

Does anyone know what material the linerband is made out of? (I've included a close up shot). Looks odd though. Also I thought cork was scarce during the war so Im suprised that this was considered standard in beaded helmets.

Green M40 ET66Green M40 ET66Green M40 ET66Green M40 ET66Green M40 ET66

Cheers!

Mads

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Green M40 ET66
    P
    Many

They used cork spacers to change sizing and fit the liners in flush, the liner band itself is made from some kind of fibre sheet material I think, but there are lots of variations. Cheap components went into these civic and second line lids. I don't know if cork was scarce but things like aluminium and steel were more efficiently used in manufacture of combat helmets, and pretty much everything else

Is that coconut husk looking stuff not just a layer of padding on top of the liner band itself?

you're right its just a layer of padding, underneath the band looks like its made out of cardboard but its much harder.

Just got offered another beaded helmet (dark blue/blackish) in similar shape, the seller is asking for around 100 dollars incl shipment, would that be fair price?

Cheers!

Mads

100 bucks is decent.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Nah, 100 bucks is way too expensive - give me the guys name and I'll set him straight ( and grab it for myself, ha ha )
    Seriously, go on and grab it - that's a good deal if complete!
    Dan

Sounds original but pics would be ideal to confirm. $100 is a good price as the guys say.
    Last edited by KradSpam; 08-09-2012 at 04:28 PM.

I just got these few pics from the seller

Green M40 ET66Green M40 ET66Green M40 ET66Green M40 ET66

That looks like a post war repaint to me actually, for fire service etc. I don't recognise the liner system.

Round cork spacers are usually seen on post-war helmets and yours are very similar to the spacers for a M52 police helmet - not sure why they would be on a beaded M40 though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast