Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Heavily damage M40 at estate sale

Article about: Hey guys I have been looking at this helmet for the past couple of weeks now. It is being offered at an estate sale with other personal affects from a footlocker (from the looks). This is th

Either the veteran has a veeery nice story to tell us on how he obtained this helmet or a biker has a veeeeery bad story on how that damage occured!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Heavily damage M40 at estate sale
    P
    Many

Hi Aaron, looks like genuine concussion damage from a blast to me, put together with the other "foot locker" items I would be pretty confident of this being a good piece. There is a bit of debate about black painted shells, but it is generally accepted that some Luftwaffe Flak units painted their helmets black, so I see no reason why an HEER Flak unit may not have done the same. The liner certainly appears to be in place, so if the price were right I would go for it. Leon.

When is the sale?
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Thanks for the words about my Grandfather but he was just a young man as many were who just wanted to go home, back to the farms and start a family.
    I hope you can get the helmet. I think you can get it cheap most people would not buy it because it is damaged. That would be their lose. Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Buy it all if the price is right.... I would .. When and where is the sale????
    We still find some treasures here in the midwest.

John
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

MAP
    ?

Quote by MAP View Post
    GET that helmet. Looks like concussion damage to me.

Ill take the uniform and side cap lol!!!

But back to the helmet. I REALLY want to see if it is black. I have a black lid with an intricately painted around decal. Question marks remain if it post war or wartime. This lid looks similar from these poor photos.if this is similar could strengthen the argument that some helmets were painted with black as a former of camouflage. Would like to see nice close ups of the decal.
    Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    Hi Aaron, looks like genuine concussion damage from a blast to me, put together with the other "foot locker" items I would be pretty confident of this being a good piece. There is a bit of debate about black painted shells, but it is generally accepted that some Luftwaffe Flak units painted their helmets black, so I see no reason why an HEER Flak unit may not have done the same. The liner certainly appears to be in place, so if the price were right I would go for it. Leon.
    Thanks Leon as always for the information. My Blackie is here (post 119)

Germany's combat Helmets

It might be post war paint, it might not be but they look like twins even down to the wear of the paint (obvious exception is that mine has not been blown up...

Arron, if you decide not to pick up the lid, seriously let me know as I would like the opportunity to purchase so I could study it.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I would also get the lid, but don't forget the breast eagle in that box!

That helmet has no doubt took a large chunk of schrapnel by that hole and blast damage. Looks good to me as all the other items. I have a M38 para with a small shrapnel chunk in the back of the helmet this stuff was bad news for anyone wearing it often distorting the helmet violently. Just a small note on the black paint my own father vetern of Normandy to the Rhine Saar area talked about seeing a black German helmet lying in a field in Normandy and tying a string on it from a distance and pulling it to see if it was booby trapped GI's were always thinking in those terms with good reason. He insisted it was black as I wondered if it was just dark FG as we often see not till many years later that some of the Luft ones as Leon stated were painted black for flak use that I often wonder if it was black like the one pictured. timothy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2