Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Heer M40 Double Decal Helmet. Your opinions please.

Article about: Hello everyone! This is my first post here, so let me first say thanks for letting me join and be a member! I was searching on the internet about M40 Heer Double Decal Helmets, and it seems

Thanks guys for finally letting me know 100% what this is! I'm just glad I am finally able to put this helmet to rest. Such a shame someone ruined a perfectly good helmet. This is the 2nd time I've been burned in this hobby (paid 1,800$ for the helmet but I would young and stupid) but, I think that's pretty good considering some of the other horror stories I've read where people lost well over $20,000 on fake items.

Is there any way to salvage this helmet? I don't know anything about decal removal, but I figure it'd still leave a shadow of the decal. I guess the best thing I could do is use it as a display piece.... it is for sale if anyone wants it.

Thanks again guys for all your help!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Heer M40 Double Decal Helmet. Your opinions please.
    P
    Many

If you have been burned only twice consider yourself very lucky! I've been burned no less than 20 times, I can't tell you exactly because I lost count. A lot of people say that due to the fake/repro helmets out there collecting is very difficult and dangerous, but what I've found is that it is actually the original helmets that have been messed with, such as this one, that make collecting hard. All kinds of things could have happened in the last 70 years to alter an original helmet that seriously devalue it. It's a real shame about the post war added decals, but you have at least got a nice ND M40 with original liner and chinstrap. I'm not sure if there is a way to remove the decals without hurting the paint. You could try to contact Bill Maertz, he does restoration jobs on helmets. If anybody knows it would be him. I think he is on the GHW2 Forum?

Hello again , personally I would not try to remove the offending tri colour, a collector of any note will pick up on the fact that it is 99.9% not period and post war applied!. The only "messy" look is the fake adler over the original. How you would go about removing that Is down to your own eye and hand!! All the best, Leon.

this helmet is in the market for a long long time , I remember posting it myself for opinions as early as 2006.
    Who sold it to you ?

Honestly, I can't remember the guys name. It was on the MCF forum that has since vanished.

That brings up a good question. Is it better to remove the decals and possibly damage the helmet or is it better to keep them intact and trust the honesty of future owners?

It would be terrible for this helmet to get into the wrong hands. I can see down the road another person getting burned on a DD M40!

Quote by Sir Payne View Post
    That brings up a good question. Is it better to remove the decals and possibly damage the helmet or is it better to keep them intact and trust the honesty of future owners?

It would be terrible for this helmet to get into the wrong hands. I can see down the road another person getting burned on a DD M40!
    , Mmmm, I see what you are getting at on that count although I would doubt that any serious (and educated) collector would be taken in for big money with this one. I am certainly not suggesting that anyone deserves to get "burned" but if you have the kind of kite to chance a buy a genuine DD M40 would cost , then maybe it's it's more fool you. (not any of "you" guys, just a turn of phrase!!) Leon.

Good point Leon. I can't see any of the hardcore collectors going for it.

But there are a lot of young inexperienced helmet collectors looking for their first DD, who may not be aware of the rarity of M40 Dds. Those are the people I am worried about. The tri color would fool me (if it is fake). And the Heer decal is quite good for a fake. Plus the original paint and parts. Together they make a very dangerous helmet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2