Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Heer S/D M-42 Normandy Camo Opinions please

Article about: Thanks for your Opinions Gentlemen I was going to hang off on contacting the seller once this thread had run its course. And to clarify things the seller does not own the Antique mall were i

?

Default Heer S/D M-42 Normandy Camo Opinions please

I was out visiting local Antique malls and junk shops and flea markets yesterday I came across this S/D Heer helmet so I took a huge chance on this lid and I bought it there was no way to post it to the forum for review first as I could not get good enough cell service to send photos were I was.
    So now it is time to face the music and see how I did
    This M-42 was manufactured by CKL the shell is a size 62 and the lot number ends in 29 I can not make out the first two digits with any real clarity 100% but I do believe it to be 3029 the liner is quite small a size 54 it would appear to have the proper galvy coated M-31 steel banded liner and all the pins look as if the are original to this helmet as best I can tell they have never been removed and or refolded over.
    The liner looks to be in decent condition and is manufactured from pig skin and has the tell tale paper like crackle to it when I feel it in my fingers I do have lots of unanswered questions about this lid like the decal, which as best as I can tell from my limited experience with these is an ET , The camo pattern which I believe to be a Normandy three color application done with a sprayer there are a few spots that have a little shine to them dependent on how you hold it in the light and is only apparent in the one color green there are scratches and scuffs in the original paint and it would appear the camouflage paint was applied right over top which would be consistent with a field application of camo ,
    There is as well scratches and scuffs through out the camo paint and some nice wear and patina on the dome were it looks to have been set down on numerous occasions the brim of the helmet is void of any paint at all and shows signs of wear and a light amount of chipping ,the chinstrap is unmarked with aluminum buckle .
    I still have much to learn about helmets,liners and decals so if I have it wrong please feel free to let me know as I have limited resources when it comes to books So I am asking for some assistance from the member ship with this lid I have many more photos to upload but I will do so as the thread progresses if so needed.

Kind regards Mark K
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Heer S/D M-42 Normandy Camo Opinions please   Heer S/D M-42 Normandy Camo Opinions please  

Heer S/D M-42 Normandy Camo Opinions please   Heer S/D M-42 Normandy Camo Opinions please  

Heer S/D M-42 Normandy Camo Opinions please   Heer S/D M-42 Normandy Camo Opinions please  

Last edited by Mark K; 11-27-2012 at 05:14 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Heer S/D M-42 Normandy Camo Opinions please
    P
    Many

Default Re: Heer S/D M-42 Normandy Camo Opinions please

Hi,i'm looking at this decal and thinking that the small black dots all over it look printed and not from wear? I may be wrong but it just does not seem quite right to me. The decal also looks quite raised against the level of the steel with an unusual "white" edge to it.It certainly is of the ET style but i'm not keen, sorry.

?

Few more images
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Heer S/D M-42 Normandy Camo Opinions please   Heer S/D M-42 Normandy Camo Opinions please  

?

Not a bad looking helmet IMO. As for the LOT number i can see in t data base that if it indeed is a it should be a SD SS helmet. The only other number i can come up with is a 2529. This is the only two ckl numbers ending on 29. 2529 is a SD Heer. As far as the paint goes i don't think it looks bad. Liner pins can loosen over time. Let's get some more opinions on this

I also have a reissue 62 with 54 liner. They are damn small!

Regards, Lars

Interesting Lars,what do you make of the chinstrap?I'm not to happy with that either myself,it just appears to me to be too "clean" for a cammo lid and i still keep looking at how raised that decal is.

?

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    Hi,i'm looking at this decal and thinking that the small black dots all over it look printed and not from wear? I may be wrong but it just does not seem quite right to me. The decal also looks quite raised against the level of the steel with an unusual "white" edge to it.It certainly is of the ET style but i'm not keen, sorry.
    If LOT number 2529 is the actual number it fits the bill as a SD Heer. Fakers normally doesn't pay much attention to LOT numbers. If it's not 2529 it's a SD SS, 3029. Most decals have a "white" background, visible on especially relic lids. Could that be what we can see round the edge perhaps?

Regards, Lars

?

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    Interesting Lars,what do you make of the chinstrap?I'm not to happy with that either myself,it just appears to me to be too "clean" for a cammo lid and i still keep looking at how raised that decal is.
    Maybe the light? Maybe Mark can tell us if it looks "sticker" like and/or take some pic at an angle? Also i am not a guru on decals.

Regards, Lars

Hi Mark,
    These quintessential 'Normandy 3 colour' jobbies are a minefield IMO....... I like the overall wear, patina, liner etc... but like FJ the decal seems a little odd to me ( and by Summer 1944 should not have been on there ) Has it been added later?? I don't know but it fits in with the wear so if it has, then the whole colour scheme is put in doubt.

For what it's worth, I would have popped too if the price was good - sometimes you have to given the circumstances. My 'fails' have not set me back too much so the pain is/was bearable when the news was broken to me.
    Regards, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

I would like to address the question of the spotting if you enlarge image one and look at the black area of the shield and compare it to the eagle you will see that the spotting is carried on through the hole decal and these seem to be caused from the texture on the helmet IMO
    This is why I posted it for other opinions I pretend to be no expert.

Regards Mark K

Mmmm,i get your point Lars,but surely if this lid had been relic the paint work would not be up to this standard?I am not saying i am right by any means but if i were parting with my money for this one i'm not sure i would be convinced i had done the right thing.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast