Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Heer S/D M-42 Normandy Camo Opinions please

Article about: Thanks for your Opinions Gentlemen I was going to hang off on contacting the seller once this thread had run its course. And to clarify things the seller does not own the Antique mall were i

?

Default Re: Heer S/D M-42 Normandy Camo Opinions please

Hi Dan

Thanks for taking my commentary with the correct context and in the way they were intended, not to chastise but to show how commentary be harmful to the educational purpose of such a forum and to members who are putting many dollars on the line.

Cheers
    Doug

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Heer S/D M-42 Normandy Camo Opinions please
    P
    Many

Quote by Danmark View Post
    fortune favours the brave!!
    I usually hear the saying as "fortune favors the bold", but it means virtually the same thing. Sometimes taking risk pays off, I have been lucky a few times with bold buys, however, from my experience, most of the time it does not, so I would not recommend it. Taking risks in this type of hobby is a big gamble - blatant stupidity when dealing with high end items. I saw an SS sleeve eagle for $30 in an antique store one time, I wasn't sure if it was original, but I took the risk and bought it anyway. Later that day I posted it on the forum and soon found out it was a fake. My mistake was that I did not listen to my instincts when I smelled the material to find that it had no distinct 40's smell. Instead I was so caught up in finding an awesome deal that I made the bold buy. True, it wasn't that much of a loss, but I still learned my lesson to always ALWAYS always get a second opinion, and try not to get caught up in the moment.
    On another note, maybe gambling is not the best analogy. When you gamble in this hobby you sometimes have a chance to get your money back if the dealer has a return policy. I've never been there, but I'm pretty sure in Vegas they don't give refunds.

?

The gamble is a dealer that has a return policy may not be able to execute on that return/refund policy for lack of funds, mere stubbornness, or outright fraud, or it takes forever to be reimbursed. Ask Scott (Narvik) about a return policy from a couple of "top" dealers and how well that went for him. Once the cash is no longer in your bank account, your money is spent. If the dealer has no return policy or it is not clearly stated, your gambling big time.

The only defense we collectors have is our own knowledge and the knowledge of our co-collectors. Situations like this is one of things the forum is useful for. Bearing in mind that cliché old adage, post before you buy.

?

I have contacted the seller via Email and have sent a few images of the helmet decal as well as a link to the thread.
    The ball is now in his court as to taking a gamble on this particular helmet there were a few other circumstances involved .
    (1) I did look at the helmet , liner and pins very closely and they were correct this much I was positive of as to the decal,chinstrap and camo these I needed some other opinions on.
    (2) I did contact the seller before purchasing this item and asked his opinion on this helmet as well as the providence and he did inform me the helmet had come out of Denmark from a reliable source ,Knowing he was a member of WAF and has handled quite a few pieces of TR and German Steel in the past I at least thought the camo stood a chance .
    I freely admit to knowing very little about TR decals I did recognize the Heer decal as an ET style of eagle but my knowledge stopped there I asked him if he had posted the helmet for opinions he told me he had not do to the fact Normandy camo's were very controversial I could accept this fact as I was going to post it here anyway.
    I would have never purchased this helmet blindly or with out an opinion first but knowing something of the sellers background and reputation did influence my decision on this purchase .
    Regards Mark K

?

Interesting Mark. Let's see what he says. Did he have to grease my fatherland into this story as well? LOL

Regards, Lars

Did someone post his user name from WAF, or did I miss that? I'd like to know for future reference.

?

No the WAF user name is not known but if no refund is forthcoming I can promise you that it will be found. Mark, a couple of red flags there - he didn't want it posted, and you thought you could buy on his reputation. Good luck on your refund.

?

I have been in contact with the seller via Email this morning and he has agreed to refund my money with out a problem it is just a matter of working out the details of when we can meet so that I can return the helmet .
    And just to clarify something the seller did not say he did not want it posted when I asked him if he had posted the helmet he told me he had not.
    I only had a few minutes this morning to reply to his Email as I had to leave for work and informed him I would contact him later tonight .

Regards Mark K
    Last edited by Mark K; 11-29-2012 at 04:55 AM. Reason: Add information

?

Good to hear on the refund Mark.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast