Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Heimwehr Danzig helmet

Article about: hello kameraden.one of my friends wish to sell this helmet.found in Danzig area by detecting at 1992-3y.it,s m35,metal is still very good.so looking for opinions-what can be price for this h

Default Re: Heimwehr Danzig helmet

Heres a couple of pic's of the Heimwehr Danzig brigade in 1939. The chap on the horse far right has an emblem on his helmet that COULD be a skull rather than the tricolour, but the photo's resolution is not that good i'm afraid.

The second picture shows a soldier outside the Danzig post office with a possible Danzig shield on his helmet, again, that's as good as it gets...sorry.

By 1940 the Heimwehr Danzig brigade had been fully intergrated into the SS and the decals were changed to the standard SS runes on the right hand side and the swastika on the red shield on the left side.

Therefore the subject helmet probably came from the battle for Danzig in September 1939. The Heimar Danzig brigade sustained heavy casualties, with over 300 being killed. Not a lot to go on fella's, but theres little photographic evidence that shows, (perhaps) what we need to know....

Regards, Ned.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Heimwehr Danzig helmet  
    Attached Images Attached Images Heimwehr Danzig helmet 
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Heimwehr Danzig helmet
    P
    Many

Looks like though one...
    I'm glad these exotic pieces leave me as cold as an ice cube...

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

It does appear to be apple green and the deaths head does not look painted to me. Damage could be from shrapnel and rust accelerated around it from 52 years in the ground. Just my opinion of course. I can't wait for an expert to give his opinion! Could the owners name be "Malekin"? Can someone search records for this??

Quote by radonovan View Post
    It does appear to be apple green and the deaths head does not look painted to me. Damage could be from shrapnel and rust accelerated around it from 52 years in the ground. Just my opinion of course. I can't wait for an expert to give his opinion! Could the owners name be "Malekin"? Can someone search records for this??
    I don't think there's an "expert" on these helmets because of the rarity. The unit was not long into play and I assume the helmets were reissued and redecalled.

If someone has the Ludwig Baer book ? I don't know if it has a chapter on these helmets ?

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    I don't think there's an "expert" on these helmets because of the rarity. The unit was not long into play and I assume the helmets were reissued and redecalled.

If someone has the Ludwig Baer book ? I don't know if it has a chapter on these helmets ?
    This proves I'm no expert as well! Interesting stuff though: http://www.german-helmets.com/SS-HWD%20Insignia.htm

here the pic from Baer book
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Heimwehr Danzig helmet   Heimwehr Danzig helmet  

interesting point in the Baer book :

in 1939 the Danzig police were absorbed into the German police and received the Model 1935 helmet but with smaller death's head

i will make more photos,but need time for that.but as i said it is original and no eny expert due of real inspectin wont say -it,s fake.i know the way for expertize,and that must be easy-must take some small piece of decals(mikroskopic) and pass to laboratory.ask to LABS,S make spectral analyse of collor.thats simply and easy.no more doubts.if mister Lydvig Baer has not this kind of decal in his book,dont blame me.Blame all those HEIMWEHR DANZIG boy,s-why they made so rare decal in so small nr

radonovan, Pierre,

Great work chaps!! This thread is just getting better and better!!

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Quote by Pierre N View Post
    interesting point in the Baer book :

in 1939 the Danzig police were absorbed into the German police and received the Model 1935 helmet but with smaller death's head
    Good work Pierre , very interesting !
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast