Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Helmet Faker's beware!!

Article about: I just found this website about the scientific approach to sniffing out the good ones from the bad. Very interesting indeed, here is the link - XRFacts — Provenance through Science

Default Re: Helmet Faker's beware!!

I think the service may have merits for those really rare lids that pop up seemingly out of nowhere. I would like to hear critique from people who work in anti-forgery forensics as to the statistical probability of obtaining fals negative and possitives from using XRF technology on helmets. For me, I would now stay with knowledge based on experience and the constructive critical eye of fellow collectors to authenticate or discard a helmet. There is always the danger that this becomes a mandatory check for collectors in the future and would most likely drive the prices up for simple and common helmets to a point that entry level collectors wre shut out. Adding 250 dollars plus shipping expenses to a 300 dollar lid when t can pretty easily be verified by an experienced collector seems over the top.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Helmet Faker's beware!!
    P
    Many

well one helmets now done at $199! i think it a good thing for double decal M35'S SS M40'S etc but for your single decal lid i dont as has been said it will drive up prices on common helmets.

Quote by Ewan Stirling View Post
    well one helmets now done at $199! i think it a good thing for double decal M35'S SS M40'S etc but for your single decal lid i dont as has been said it will drive up prices on common helmets.
    Good discussion on this going on over at GHW. Bit more in depth. I cant explain it all really, best off nipping over there for a quick look Ewan.

Quote by Isle of Wighter View Post
    Good discussion on this going on over at GHW. Bit more in depth. I cant explain it all really, best off nipping over there for a quick look Ewan.
    hi jim, was viewing that thread a few weeks back and i will have a look again

cheers,ewan

call me old fashioned and cynical, but " ulterior motive " springs to mind when dealers are involved. how far are YOU prepared to go to authenticate a COA

i do not trust this xrx stuff, maybe there is a small difference in the scan or what ever or the helmet gose lost on the shipping way, dont like it

I think this service is more for ss helmets then other branches. I don't think the more commen helmets, need this, at least not yet. Every
    One knows that begineers will be shut out of German helmet collecting in about 10 years. What I am afraid of is if majority of the dealers use the new system. That will for sure drive up prices.

?

Gents I have been extensively involved in XRF testing. It has potential however a real DD SS helmet needs no XRF scan. A real one screams real.
    Collectors cannot abandon the quest for knowledge in place of a monopolized technological database used by dealers.
    How about these tools....the Mark 1 Eyeball, Brain 1.0 and FMD (Factual Mature Discussion). They work pretty good and I can build one hell of a case study for them over a reliance on XRF.

BTW for those that are interested here is the link to the thread on GHW.

Note it is extensive but required reading if you want detailed observations and opinions about this.

Board Message

Doug (SSTk)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2