Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Helmet found in Belfort, France (Alsace)

Article about: Hi guys, found this helmet in Belfort, France together with an obviously fake Panzerkampfabzeichen (confirmed in another thread, thanks for that). For me the helmet was more interesting, esp

It appears to be an M35 that has been over painted with white gloss. If there are "patches" on the inside this is consistent with its re-use as a planter. No way is the paint wartime.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Helmet found in Belfort, France (Alsace)
    P
    Many

Thanks guys for all your posts, really interesting. I got the helmet from a farmer and paid 50 Euros, so the risk was small. I also think the white paint is post-war but what I don't get is the empty badge spot on the left side.

The badge spot looks like it's an area that was treated with paint remover and a badge shape left. If there ever was a decal the rust would have long destroyed it.

Hi, I'm guessing that someone used a bit of paint remover on the decal area to see if there was anything under there. If there was my bet would be that they would have then tried to remove all of the post war white. Leon.

Quote by Laufenburger View Post
    Thanks guys for all your posts, really interesting. I got the helmet from a farmer and paid 50 Euros, so the risk was small. I also think the white paint is post-war but what I don't get is the empty badge spot on the left side.
    Well...Thanks for the post & the mature discussion which typifies this forum. Welcome to you as a new member !!

MAP
    ?

Late to the thread...but not that I can really add anything more beyond this.

If original wartime (which I doubt) white paint, the liner and split pins would have to have been removed as the white paint actually goes through the holes and can be seen from the interior photos.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    Hi, I'm guessing that someone used a bit of paint remover on the decal area to see if there was anything under there. If there was my bet would be that they would have then tried to remove all of the post war white. Leon.
    Sounds logical, thanks ! Last question: Since the paint is obviously post-war, do you guys recommend to remove the white part or is it more likely that I destroy more than I will find underneath?

Quote by Laufenburger View Post
    Sounds logical, thanks ! Last question: Since the paint is obviously post-war, do you guys recommend to remove the white part or is it more likely that I destroy more than I will find underneath?
    I would leave as is. I think it is nice looking. Start messing around removing the white paint...will probably make a mess of it, plus highly doubtful you will find anything salvageable beneath the white.

Go on... be adventurous, it's only a tatty old shell. Give it a fresh coat of white paint and fix chains to the three rivet holes, and then forget about it until April/May. Then dig it out of the shed, fill it with compost and a sprinkling of moisture retaining crystals and pot it up with a mixture of begonia, trailing lobelia, sweet alyssum, silver bells, and maybe some ivy. Your missus will just love your creative gardening skills!

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    Go on... be adventurous, it's only a tatty old shell. Give it a fresh coat of white paint and fix chains to the three rivet holes, and then forget about it until April/May. Then dig it out of the shed, fill it with compost and a sprinkling of moisture retaining crystals and pot it up with a mixture of begonia, trailing lobelia, sweet alyssum, silver bells, and maybe some ivy. Your missus will just love your creative gardening skills!

Now there is an option !! Nice Steve.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2