Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Helmet help

Article about: Hello im not shure what kind of helmet this is can somebody help me thanks

?

I agree with what my peers have said. On the m35 , I can almost see an outline of a decal under the painted rune shield. Look above it and you can see what I mean.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Helmet help
    P
    Many

?

Why sell them if they are from your grandfather?

Didn't you like him or something or are you that hard up for what, $250 these would net you?

I'm not getting into(for once!) the controversy here, but I just had to say that the condition of that Doughboy M17 is superb. I agree with John-I would say that it was totally unissued. The paper tag is still intact and clean and the chinstrap is mint enough to look like it could be worn Today-as is the Liner. Not often that you See these 95 year old boys in such great shape!
    Last edited by Wagriff; 09-16-2013 at 12:33 AM.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

I have his uniform, that was the main thing i wanted the helmets well i just don't have the room to display them.

?

Quote by warren View Post
    I have his uniform, that was the main thing i wanted the helmets well i just don't have the room to display them.
    I had to ask because I just never understand why people sell things given to them by their grandparents. In this case these helmets except the M1918 are near worthless anyway and would bring you not many dollars in return.

So I am correct in assuming your not interested in collecting, you just want to identify them, get a value and then move these items for the highest $ then, right?

Quote by warren View Post
    WWI or WWI uniform? If it's a WWI uniform, why separate the helmet from the uniform??? It's one combined history. If you're going to sell the helmet, than sell the uniform with it, and that I might be interested in. But I would not separate the helmet just for the sake of some cash. And if you have room for a uniform, than you have room for the helmet. Even in mint condition the M1917 isn't going to bring you fortune, probably wont even pay the electric bill.

I have my grandfathers uniform and I will until the day I die. I even have the ration cards for my other grandparents. Not worth a lot but it's a connection to my loved ones who have since passed. You dont have to be a collector, but don't sell it off just for money. I hope I'm not wasting my breath.

But, on the other hand, families selling off their loved one's war trophies is partly how we have built our collections.

?

Todd those items from your grandfather sound super. I wish I had something like that but my great grandfather was drafted into the Russian army in WW1 and as a conscientious objector he refused to fight (were Mennonite background and a practicing Mennonite will never take up arms) so he was on burial detail. Still anything from him I would treasure.

My grandparents farmed in Southern Manitoba in WW2 and did not have any role.

So I just fail to understand selling something which has such am evocative family historical connection.

But yes items in reality are sold off and go to collectors who will treasure the history.

Thank you for the compliment, Doug. My dad's father never made it overseas due to medical condition, but made it into service on the home front in recruitment office in the Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. Had he been overseas he would have most likely been in Italy. I have news paper clippings my grandmother cut out and saved of my grandfather's friends receiving silver and bronze stars in Italy for taking out machine gun boxes and such. My mother's father was too old and had two children by the time the war rolled around, and was employed in the government printing office in DC, so he was exempted for both reasons. They are his ration cards that I have.

I don't understand why some would choose to part with family heirlooms from such trying times, but maybe it's because I, like many of us here, cherish the items we have so much that we can't comprehend parting with them. But, I have seen over the years in many things, not just militaria collecting, that some people just flat out do not care. Period. And nothing we say will change them. I feel sorry for those people, and even sorrier for their ancestors who sacrificed but their descendants don't give a crap. When I find people like this and if I am in the positional financially to do so, I buy up what they have. At least I know the items are safe with me and if I choose to pass on the items at a later time, I have an outlet here to a respectful collecting community where I know they will be cared for appropriately.

?

I never knew he had the helmets they were in his spare bedroom and in a box so i really had no information on if they were actually his. The German helmet is what threw me off and also the ww1 helmet, he was in WW2 and fought in the Pacific Arena. I don't think he fought any German just Japanese. If i knew he had them i would have asked him about them to see why he had these things put up.
    So i figured that somebody would know on here, about what they were and if it was because of their value or not.
    One of my friends told me that he had seen some German helmets go for quite a bit of money and a collector would know, i just don't have any idea about war items and collecting them.

May we see some more photos of the M1917 and the "SS" which isnt really an SS helmet, especially the interior? Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2