Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Helmet Help: I have no idea what I'm doing

Article about: Hey guys... I registered pretty much for the strict purpose of putting this forward to see what you all think. I have a helmet that was given to me as a gift by a grandparent. She swears it'

Galactor
    ?

Default Helmet Help: I have no idea what I'm doing

Hey guys... I registered pretty much for the strict purpose of putting this forward to see what you all think. I have a helmet that was given to me as a gift by a grandparent. She swears it's real, but I kinda have my doubts. I'm thinking of selling it, so wanted to make sure that it is not real before putting it up for an auction. Note that I have no documentation, no nothing on this besides my grandparents word. Also, sorry for the picture quality, if you'd like better pictures ask and I can get them.

2. # ADS

Default Re: Helmet Help: I have no idea what I'm doing

hi galactor,

this is a german m34 helmet. made of lightweight non-ballistic metal for use by civil defense or fire fighters. most likely used post war by some organisation. Maybe there are traces of decals. hard to see right now.

cheers, emile

Stormtrooper
    ?

It's Real so Keep it. Your Grandparents thought enough about you to aquire something that they would never ever buy for themselves with the supreme thought of making you happy because they Love you and want you to be Happy. You should keep it until you can pass it on to your Children. I would have kept it even if it was made out of Plastic.One day they will be at your house and want to see it. imagiane how they will feel if you don't have it because you sold it,even if it's not true ,they will think that their gift to you wasn't good enough. I'm not being judgemental, I'm just trying to save you some heartache down the road. It's not a M-35 SS or a mint FJ helmet but it's real. Butch

Galactor
    ?

Quote by Stormtrooper View Post
    It's Real so Keep it. Your Grandparents thought enough about you to aquire something that they would never ever buy for themselves with the supreme thought of making you happy because they Love you and want you to be Happy. You should keep it until you can pass it on to your Children. I would have kept it even if it was made out of Plastic.One day they will be at your house and want to see it. imagiane how they will feel if you don't have it because you sold it,even if it's not true ,they will think that their gift to you wasn't good enough. I'm not being judgemental, I'm just trying to save you some heartache down the road. It's not a M-35 SS or a mint Fallschirmjager helmet but it's real. Butch
    Fair enough, I wasn't hell bent on selling it, but I really don't know much about this helmet and I don't think it was much more then just a holiday gift from my grandmother either way, she seems to barely remember it herself. Apparently my dad remembered that she got it in Austria, and it was sold as a combat helmet. Obviously thats not the case, but it is interesting to note that it may indeed be real at all. So glad to hear that.

Is there anyway that I could possibly date it now that I know what it is? If it requires more pictures I can provide those, but sadly there are no decals on it. Though there are a few places where it seems like some were removed (sticker residue left behind)

even the faintest trace of a decal or marking can can put a smile on a collectors face (and answer more of your questions)
    can you provide more pictures of the decal remnants ?

i wish my grandparents gave me helmets for Christmas lol
    all i got was Oreos and willow whippings

and welcome to the forum!

Galactor
    ?

Quote by Cobra den Bien Phieu View Post
    even the faintest trace of a decal or marking can can put a smile on a collectors face (and answer more of your questions)
    can you provide more pictures of the decal remnants ?

i wish my grandparents gave me helmets for Christmas lol
    all i got was Oreos and willow whippings

and welcome to the forum!
    First off thank you for the kind greetings.
    Secondly: The more I look at them, the more I'm thinking there probably something more mundane, like pricing sticker remnants (was a gift after all :P) but I'll get some pictures of them all the same, just to make sure they're not.

After a quick conversation with my grandma, I also learned that she apparently got it on a trip to Austria, but doesn't really remember much else about it. I think it was advertised, like I said before, as a WWII combat helmet, but that much I've ruled out definitively by now. I know it's a civilian helmet as everyone here as said as well by my own research as well as you all's expertise, but when is now my concern, and without any markings I guess thats a little hard to figure out.

Anyway, I'll get some more pictures up of it tomorrow, and thank you all for your help thus far.

It's real and it's German. It is a civil police square dip helmet. You can read about it here: German-Helmets.com

Galactor
    ?

Quote by radonovan View Post
    It's real and it's German. It is a civil police square dip helmet. You can read about it here: German-Helmets.com
    Right, but of what era is what I'm curious about now. WWII or post WWII?

Stormtrooper
    ?

Your Helmet was worn when the Russians were burning Germany to the ground. They were handing out those Helmets by the Box full, to civillians old men and women. I've seen pictures of kids wearing them too. They were kind of a "Last Ditch" type.Back in the day I've seen them for sale at antique stores for as little as $80.00 to $150.00. This was a Police and Civil Defence Helmet. The Fireman type had a metal crownrunning from the peak center down the backto the edge of the rear of the Helmet. So it is authentic and it's my guess that it was 'well' used during the very last days of the War. I hope this helps you. All the best, Stormtrooper

Its real ok .I think im right in saying this type of helmet isnt being faked?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast