Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Helmet Identification

Article about: Hey German Helmet enthusiast, I am really interested in WW2 and I really want a German helmet as part of my collection. I already have full american WW2 gear and Korean war gear. I would rea

Default Helmet Identification

Hey German Helmet enthusiast,

I am really interested in WW2 and I really want a German helmet as part of my collection. I already have full american WW2 gear and Korean war gear. I would really like a the German helmet that I found in an antique store but I am not an expert on German Military items and don't want to get cheated out of money. I really have no idea what I am doing so if somebody could help me with maybe some websites or advice it would be nice.
    I am 15 and am an avid collector of WW2 items, I am pretty good at picking out american WW2 items but my knowledge is very minimum with German gear.
    I have had "mentor" collectors tell me to stick with American items because of how hard it is to tell the real from the fakes,
    They have said that the fakes are so good that even EXPERT collectors cant tell the difference,

Thanks,
    Michael

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Helmet Identification
    P
    Many

Default Re: Helmet Identification

Ask the guy in the antique store if you can take photos of the helmet, if he's honest he wont object then post 'em on here. The guys on here can spot most fakes from a mile!...

Thanks, from my point of view it looks old but the liner is real nice so maybe it was replaced.

Michael

The best websites to learn about German helmets are military forums such as this. We have literally hundreds of threads on the subject, as does other sites such as GHW2. Best of all you have members here who will be more than willing to help you if you post photos. My advice is to not buy anything unless you know what you are doing or have had members here give you a second opinion. Get photos of the helmet you saw and post them. If it has decals, get a close up shot. Smell the leather liner. It should have that distinct 40's smell. Since you collect US gear you may by familiar with this smell already.

Corey

?

Just because the seller is an antique dealer, means literally nothing unless he's a collector or very knowledgable on German Helmets, therefore he could either be selling a fake with or without knowledge or a genuine one and knows the true cost, which will normally be reflected in the asking price dependant on condition, you describe an "old" looking helmet with a good looking liner, which doesnt really mean a great deal until you examine both pieces in context, Get a photo, good clear and close up shots of the helmet , outside and inside, look for the size markings that will be on the inner flare where your left ear would go and the rear flare where a lot no/ should be, then look closely at the leather, does it have a new leather smell, is it really clean, ie new looking, there should be dirt/ dust inside, old leather has a distictive smell and feel to it, but before doing anything post the photos here for comments, and until you have learnt enough to judge for yourself, keep asking for advice and comments on items you post, at the same time buy a good reference book and study, go to militaria fairs and handle as many real helmets as possible, smell them inside and outside, it may look odd but a good dealer will know exactly why you are doing this and wont mind.
    Good luck in your collecting

?

Hi Michael

I'd recommend reading this post as it can be applied to any helmet type or even genre of collecting:

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/ss-he...helmet-248258/

I would start with a no decal M42 from either a reputable collector or dealer, and post before you buy.
    Members here and GHW2 (German helmet Walhalla 2) can be of assistance.

I would recommend Dave Shirlin from ww2germanhelmets.com he is honest, has integrity and just a good guy at fair prices typically. He loves working with young collectors as well.

Cheers, happy to help anytime.
    Doug

Quote by Snake Master View Post
    Hey German Helmet enthusiast,

I have had "mentor" collectors tell me to stick with American items because of how hard it is to tell the real from the fakes,
    They have said that the fakes are so good that even EXPERT collectors cant tell the difference,

Thanks,
    Michael
    Hello Michael , a mentor is supposed to teach you something not tell you to run away from something.
    Collecting German helmets requires study and knowledge just like American helmets require study and knowledge , I added some American helmets to my mostly German collection and it is a whole different ballgame. Honestly German helmets are much easier for me than US helmets with painted symbols , it becomes hard to tell when applied. Or seeing the difference between early , mid war and post war webbing of the M1 liner.

Collectors have become a lot more knowledgeable in the last couple of years what German helmets are concerned. Decals have been studied in detail and have been compared and logged. We know what's possible on what helmets and what's to be avoided.
    The fakes are not that good even. I would say it's safer to buy a helmet now with the help from a forum than before 2006.

So don't let your mentor scare you , like Doug says buy from the safe places , ask help from the forum and study up.

Going to gun shows/militaria shows is a good start, seeing/smelling/feeling as many real items is a great foundation in starting this hobby, also reading forums and searching the web, maybe get a low cost book on german helmets to study them, you would be surprised at how much knowledge you can gain in a single week just from a good book, I know I was, as with anything, knowledge is king.

Absolutely agree with all. I wouldn't say German helmets is an easy field, but it certainly makes sense after a while of study.

Pics of the lid in the antique store would be great.

germanhelmets.com has the online guide to german helmet too, that if you dont have a book and theres a free online book that can be downloaded but i cant remember how to get to it. it on my laptop at home. i would do a lot more reading about german helmets first then go for a bye. one thing i was told a few years ago when i surfed. i said to a guy im always thinking about sharks out here in the ocean he said to me dont worry about the ones in the ocean theres more here on land. some people will do or sell anything to make a buck so try to be one step ahead of them. and this forum will help you alot.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast